The nerve of him

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I received an angry call today from the “head of maintenance” at 50 unit town house complex.

He insisted that I do not have the necessary qualifications to recommend repairs to this panel.

![](upload://2xGcHx0U2fVs6JE3CKiw3haDei9.jpeg)

![](upload://xnLuOXrnMfu7DxjtZ8jKmOSR3pM.jpeg)

I calmly explained to him that I did not recommend repairs, I recommended replacement.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

I think you’re qualified Jeff, you’re the biggest Zinsco hater that I know! icon_lol.gif

Head of Maintenance huh, what's that mean? Head janitor?

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

jonofrey wrote:

Be nice John. Oh wait, this is nice for John ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

now john. i’m “head of maintenance” for a 360+ unit complex, and i’m no dummy. but then again i too see the need to replace that panel, so i guess i’m one up on that guy. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

I would like to see his face when he has a look at the phase bus bars when all of the branch circuit breakers are removed. I would bet my next inspection fee that several of them been arcing for a long time.

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Jeff;

Do you remove breakers as part of the inspection? Of was that burned area just from an old breaker?

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

jpope wrote:
jonofrey wrote:

Be nice John. Oh wait, this is nice for John ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Jeez, a guy can't even ask a simple question around here without getting beaten up.

I guess you reap what you sow, eh?

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: Monte Lunde

Will,

On your question, in Picture #1 shows one slot not in use (Far left), looks like the same far left slot in Picture #3.

Monte Lunde CCI, CCPM, CRI

Viking Construction Services Inc.

wdecker wrote:
Do you remove breakers as part of the inspection? Of was that burned area just from an old breaker?

No, I don't remove breakers. This was visible simply by removing the dead front cover.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Thanks. Just curious.

Guess you had to be there.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: roconnor

It can be a sticky situation calling out for complete replacement of a Zinsco panel just from the name, as unlike FPE panels where there are well documented problems, there is little to back up that call.

The double lug can be fixed easily, and it's possible that indications of some bus bar scorching at the open breaker position is limited (older breaker that didn't fit well?). Cant really tell the true condition unless all the breakers are removed.

May be better to note the potential problems with the Zinsco Panels, and recommend a complete inspection (with breakers removed) and further evaluation by a qualified electrician. The results should be in writing.

JMO and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Quote:
The home is equipped with a Zinsco brand service panel that had obvious signs of arcing/overheating and deterioration. Zinsco products are considered problematic by industry professionals due to their high failure rate. Failure of any component within the electrical system can result in fire and/or electrocution. Replacement of the service equipment is advised for safety.

Occasionally I will recommend;

Quote:
A complete and thorough inspection by a state licensed electrical contractor is advised to determine the safety, integrity and performance of the system.

In any case, the electrician will usually have the final say in the matter.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738