The old Coffee Can Lid trick

Coffee can lid used as JBox…and also another light in shower stall…not only light but heat lamp/light/fart fan…nice eh?

720EUintah 049.jpg

720EUintah 051.jpg

Tony,

Common Sense Rule- I would not install a recess light above a shower unless the light and so on is rated for WET LOCATIONS and has a moisture trim…important to note that even DRY locations can become DAMP locations…but thats another story.

Hopefully people have more COMMON SENSE than to change a light bulb in the middle of a shower…HOWEVER…now…I would love some other comments on this…BUT…

Art 410.4(D) lists what is not allowed within the 3’ x 8’ prohibited area directly past the threshold of the tub or shower area…SO with that said it does not apply to recess or surface mounted luminaires…

Also a TidBit…we install Recess Lights with Moisture Trims all the time in showers…perfectly allowed and fine.
Remember I am refering to NEC 2002…not 2005 as I don’t yet go into that until more areas have adopted it.

Now…a key here is also the requirement for luminaires in wet and damp locations SHALL BE installed in a manner that will prevent water from accumulating in any part of the luminaire. Also luminiares that are marked " suitable for Dry Locations Only" SHALL BE installed only in a dry location, luminiares marked " suitable for Damp Locations" can be installled in either damp or dry locations… and lastly luminaires listed for " Wet Locations" can be installed in Dry, Damp or Wet locations…

Ok…with that said…and I dont know this so bare with me…technically depending on the light installed…be it a heat lamp, light or what have you it may be fine…depending on the rating of the luminaire…

My Source - ME…Me…ME…ME…me…:slight_smile:

Oh…and on the Coffee Can Lid…Yeah…what the heck…go ahead and write that one up…thehehehe…:wink:

Actually…another tidbit…a recess light installed over the shower does not have to be rated for Wet Location ( according to 2002 NEC )…but interesting however that putting a TRIM on it rated for Wet Locations is fine…we do it all the time…neat tidbit of info…I think…lol