The sample 20 questions validity

I took the 20 questions Green Building questionnaire and I have a concern about the question of putting a blanket around my water heater. I recently installed a water heater and the manual clearly states that you are not to put a blanket arount the heater as this will VOID the warranty. The tank is fully insulated and the manufacturer emphatically states this. I bought the tank from Lowe’s.

This can be misleading to some and its important that we don’t add that as a necessary element to the inspection which would affect their “score”.

Just an FYI.

I agree. That’s as far as I went with that test myself. I’ve not proceeded any further with any of the green courses either. I figured if that was considered a positive, I didn’t want to be in a postion to have to support it, or reccomend it during a green inspection/evaluation.

Mark, you aren’t forced to support anything just because you’ve read it. Thermal water heater blankets are not recommended or mentioned in the green building course, but a lot of other good information is.

No, but to give a home a score, you give it postive points for the blanket.

Score? What score? What are you talking about?

I was at Lowes today and they have this blanket displayed next to their WH,s. I bought an electric one there a few months ago and in the Installation Instructions it has 7 "Do Not" none of them mention a blanket.

[ Thermwell
Water Heater Blanket

Item #: 24413 Model: SP57/67 BS69](“javascript:openImage(‘http://images.lowes.com/product/077578/077578023854.jpg’)”)

I was at Lowe’s today and they have this blanket displayed next to the water heater’s. I bought an electric one from them a few months ago and in the Installation Instructions it has 7 “**do not” **and none of them mention a blanket.

Thermwell
Water Heater Blanket

Item #: 24413 Model: SP57/67 BS69

This is the warranty of the one I have and it does not mention a thermal blanket.

http://www.americanwaterheater.com/support/WarrantyDocumentation.pdf

What’s your point?

My point is David said he bought one at Lowe’s and the warranty is VOID if you use a thermal blanket. LOWE’S sell thermal blankets and the warranty of the one I bought their DOES NOT MENTION THERMAL BLANKETS.

I don’t think there is any use for thermal blankets and not because it voids a warranty.

My thinking is that…

1. the tank is already insulated.
  2. 75% of all tanks are in rooms that are being heated (not cooled) anyway… in other words the heat lost from the tank is being wasted.
  3. the amount lost is almost nothing. Go touch your water heater tank… is it hot? Nope.

Blanket issue removed from www.MoveInCertified.com/gogreen

That was easy…

Page 9 of the Rheem manual states:

"The manufacturer’s warranty does not cover any damage or defect caused by installation, attachment or use of any type of energy saving or other unapproved devices (other than those authorized by the manufacturer) into, onto or in conjunction with the water heater. The use of unauthorized energy saving devices may shorten the life of and may endanger the life and property. "

They say that if local codes require it (although they also state that it’s not useful or necessary to use a blanket) then the blanket can be installed but there are conditions.

The labels can’t be covered (that presents a problem because the unit is round and the labels are mounted everywhere on one side (nearly one third of its circumference).

Don’t cover the access panels.

Inspect the blanket regularly.

I’d say, they’re trying to tell us that it really doesn’t really help much.

Just to clarify. Thanks for removing the question from the green list.

Thanks,
Dave.