The Home Inspection Industry has many challenges, but the biggest challenge in my honest opinion is trying to convince clients that we are professionals and as professionals we demand and expect fair fees. Sure we all do a great job of inspecting and I hope that we don’t act like children when communicating with clients like we do here, but I have to say if any of our clients were to visit some of the threads on this and other MB’s, they would think twice about giving us the fees that we consider fair.
I know that the “Professional” status for HI’s will never be totally achieved in my lifetime,but we at the very least have
to lay the foundations for future generations of HI’s.We owe this both to ourselves and to the founders of this industry.
My opinion only;
Our common goals [not in any particular order] should be as follows:
- Education-We should all be raising the bar in this dept.
- Marketing-Not only our own business, but our Industry as a whole.
- Ethics-Get offended when Realtors/Homeowners ask for a soft report,or an Home Inspection for $199.
- Work with, not against other inspectors-Even Raymond Wand has given me an Inspection.
- Join NACHI-This is a no brainer
- Strive to be a CMI-I will be qualified next year!
- Mutual Respect-You all know what I’m talking about.
- Do the best inspection that you can-Do it like your mother was purchasing the home.
*]Opinions-We are basically in the “Opinion” business therefore we will have different opinions on most everything, including Associations,tools best practices etc.[see point 7]
I challenge all to add to this list or to add to the existing list! Maybe we can get Nick to tweak it and make it mandatory reading for all!