this is for the birds!

Pigeons to be exact, inspection yesterday, found pigeons living in the soffits
recommended barbequing on slow heat for an extended period of time to assure tenderness:D
Noticed what appeared to be nesting material sticking out of the soffit vent,
climbed up to look closer and heard birds inside soffits, hard to see in the pic, but I talked one into coming out on the roof and got a pic from the ground,look real close on the roof just to the right of the downspout, he wouldn’t come out while I was up there.

looked in the attic…found no evidence of them being in there so that was good.

116ches 020.jpg

116ches 039.jpg

I am very interested in knowing how you talked a pigeon into coming out…pigeon whisperer? :wink:

by simply cooing…works on my girlfriend too!

I’m sorry I asked… :wink:

Found this yesterday in a condo inspection. It is in the return air plenum. I have no idea how it got there. HVAC system was in the center of the unit and as far as I could tell, the return plenum had no openings to the attic or anywhere else.
IMG_2784.JPG

Here is something maybe you guys know or just finding out about.

In Illinois, dead birds are clues in the West Nile virus problem. We should notify the health Dept about dead birds out in the open. Finding a dead bird is not something to freak out over but be advised it maybe something you want to keep a look out for when you start seeing Raven and other birds dead in the street in relatively “not chewed” , "smashed " condition… Cats, horses, I think are subseptable to getting West Nile… ( not sure on that).

People out west are getting this disease now with the virus moving from east to west. We have summer coming around now so the disease is going to flare up again with all the other crap too like Lyme’s disease, Killer bees, tree eating beetles, Zebra mussels in the great lakes, Asian carp in the lakes… blah blah blah

uh oh, I think I caught a case of pigeon paralysis yesterday, seriously though you never know what you can get crawling around in the places we go!

[FONT=Times New Roman]A little information on a health hazard associated with bird droppings FYI:) [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Histoplasmosis is an infectious disease caused by[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]inhaling the spores of a fungus called Histoplasma[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Italic]capsulatum. Histoplasmosis is not contagious; it[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]cannot be transmitted from an infected person or[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]animal to someone else.(1)[/FONT]
*[FONT=Times-Italic]H. capsulatum *is a dimorphic fungus, which means[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]it has two forms.(2,3) It is a mold (mycelial phase) in[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]soil at ambient temperatures, and after being[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]inhaled by humans or animals, it produces a yeast[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]phase when spores undergo genetic, biochemical,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]and physical alterations[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Histoplasmosis primarily affects a person’s lungs,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]and its symptoms vary greatly. The vast majority of[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]infected people are asymptomatic (have no apparent[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]ill effects), or they experience symptoms so mild[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]they do not seek medical attention and may not even[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]realize that their illness was histoplasmosis.(6) If[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]symptoms do occur, they will usually start within 3[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]to 17 days after exposure, with an average of[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]10 days.(1) Histoplasmosis can appear as a mild,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]flu-like respiratory illness and has a combination of[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]symptoms, including malaise (a general ill feeling),[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]fever, chest pain, dry or nonproductive cough,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]headache, loss of appetite, shortness of breath, joint[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]and muscle pains, chills, and hoarseness.(1,3,6–[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]The fungus seems to grow best[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]in soils having a high nitrogen content, especially[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]those enriched with bird manure or bat droppings.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]The organism can be carried on the wings, feet, and[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]beaks of birds and infect soil under roosting sites or[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]manure accumulations inside or outside buildings.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Active and inactive roosts of blackbirds (e.g., starlings,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]grackles, red-winged blackbirds, and cowbirds)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]have been found heavily contaminated by[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Italic]H. capsulatum.(34,38,50) Therefore, the soil in a stand[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]of trees where blackbirds have roosted[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]for 3 or more years should be suspected of being[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]contaminated by the fungus.(42,51) Habitats of[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]pigeons(38–40,52–54) and bats,(38,55–72) and poultry[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]houses with dirt floors(38,73–7 have also been[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]found contaminated by H. capsulatum.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]bird manure is primarily a nutrient[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]source for the growth of *H. capsulatum *already[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]present in soil.(27) Unlike birds, bats can become[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]infected with *H. capsulatum *and consequently[/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman]can excrete the organism in their droppings.[/FONT]

Guys;

I am just going to wrap myself in Tyvek, pop about 3 wide spectrum anti-biotics and move to Alaska :shock:

In Alaska you better watch for the grizzly bear virus. They get it from eating humans.

going to a hawiian party tonight( help me out Mr Enomoto did i spell it right) I should’ve cooked those pigeons, everyone will probably be so drunk they wouldn’t have known!

that looks like a starling. they’re better of dead. there like flying cockroaches.

Here is the link for West Nile from the state of Illinois. This is not to state that birds will give you West Nile disease but they are ways of measuring the movement of West Nile. The dam Mosquito’s are the responsible ones for transmitting this crap via infecting birds that act as a medium and transporter of the disease. I wear mosquito repellent in the summer time… Do I scare anyone… Decker???;):wink:

www.idph.state.il.us/public/hb/hbwestnile.htm

Pat;

You already scare me :shock:

Seriously, guys, this is no joke. Many times I have inspected attics that have as much as 2 foot high piles of nest materials and bird droppings. Not a joking matter.

Last summer, I began to see dead birds among the ditrius.

Gotta protect ourselves and our clients.

Hope this helps;

Diltrius…I had to look that one up…and I can’t find it…I did find this though:

**detritus **

1. Loose fragments or grains that have been worn away from rock.
  2. [LIST=1]
  3. Disintegrated or eroded matter: the detritus of past civilizations.
  4. Accumulated material; debris:
    [/LIST]
    I love words…

He talks to birds??? Maybe I can talk to my dog!! Just kidding.

I was taught that alcohol kills germs, viruses, and bacteria and, ergo, prevents many diseases. Could be why Ms Margarita and Dr Cuervo visit here often.

Only on topical surfaces, RR, and then only in concetrations of 80% or more.

And yet I never get sick. Hmmmmmmmmmm.