Toilet caulking

Is a toilet supposed to be caulked at and around the bottom at the floor. Seems like I have heard both ways but am not sure how to call this? It makes sense to me that it should but I need to be able to back it up with fact not just making senses. Any help would be great. Thanks guys!!!

If the wax seal springs a leak how will you know?? When you end up in the basement???

1 Like

Caulking helps keep it clean. I’ve learned this with potty training a little boy. You caulk like 90%, leaving the back open, so if someone misses the potty, you don’t have stuff growing in the groove.

Tom

3 Likes

It doesn’t “need” to be caulked at all but it sure looks better. Some people only caulk the front and sides and leave the back open so that it it leaks you are supposed to know sooner. If its not caulked, an over flow from any the fixtures could get under and around the drain.

So you see, there is + and -

I caulk the whole thing but only because my wife cleans the floor like a sailor swabbing the deck of an aircraft carrier!! :|.) :|.)

So if you do an inspection and it’s not caulked do you call it out or just let it go? How do you write it up?

My tile setter used grout around the toilet. Looks pretty good…if you like looking at that sort of thing. :slight_smile:

As far as reporting…to me it is an item not worth mentioning either way.

1 Like

Push brooms and fire hoses?

tom

It’s a cosmetic issue.

With as much water, and chemicals, that go on the floor you would think it was push brooms and fire hoses. Our house is custom built and during building I had the entire bathroom floor, both bathrooms, equipped with the equivalent of hot mopped shower pans and drains!! :wink: :wink:

1 Like

I agree that leaving an opening at the back is the best option.
I feel having a good portion caulked with a silicon sealant is not only a good way to keep it clean around the perimeter but also helps in keeping the ring seated by eliminating more movement than a tightened bolt.
Think about it and you realize they will only tighten it so much to avoid cracking the porcelin.The caulk will help eliminate any small movement that contributes to a loose wax ring.

1 Like

EVERY wax ring is going to leak, most within a decade or two. I’ve seen water wicked through OSB subflooring down a hall and into a bedroom 20’ away. IMO a pretty high price to pay for avoiding a bit of cleaning.

I agree with Robert. The life of a wax ring will be extended because the caulk at the floor eliminates any small movement. It really holds the toilet in place well. Better than a couple of cheesy bolts into OSB.

But to answer the original question, I don’t write it up. A toilet install does not need caulk at the base of the toilet.

Thanks for the answers guy’s. I do agree that it will eliminate most unwanted movement at the base which may help lessen the chance of a leak. I did not write it up as I knew it was not a must have situation. I did however give some recommendation to the buyer just for his information. Thanks again for all the info and quick response to the question.

You’d be surprised what will grow around this environment :shock:

Anyone for shrooms?

Ugh. Someone needs to clean up their home and fix that leak.

The toilet seal sits lower the pressboard flooring if bathroom is on the top floor or if the home has a crawlspace. So if the wax seal was to leak it does not just run out on top of the floor. It soaks into the pressboard and discolors the vinyl. If tile is used you won’t know unless you use a meter or look at it from below. Caulk will hold the toilet securely and helps keep it clean around the base.

What do you do if the wax ring wont stay sealed?