Tool belts, boxs and pouches. What do you use?

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What does everyone use to get tools around the job site? How about some pics?

Thanks
Rob Z.

Originally Posted By: dbush

Rob, don’t have a picture handy, but I use a “Bucket Buddy” it is a canvas pouch with pockets that fits over a 5 gal bucket. It is available at Home Depot.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Robert, There’s a picture somewhere around here of a home depot tool bucket like Dave’s. It was posted by Russell about 6 months ago.

Erol

Originally Posted By: mrichardson

Robert,

I use an assortment of carriers. A bucket buddy/5 gallon bucket; a belt with pouches for my ultra-stinger light and multimeter; 2 bags with shoulderstraps for assorted meters and tools; a vest, similar to a fishing vest, but with larger pockets, for my pda, camera, pinless moisture meter, suretest and pens/notepads etc.

The vest and belt go most everywhere, the others are more specialized (e.g. hvac).

Best wishes,
Mike

Originally Posted By: dbowers

I use a “Gatemouth Jr” toolbag (17" long & padded for counter-tops). That stays in the general location I’m at (basement, outside, inside in the kitchen). Then I wear a VERY small tool pouch - it carrys a GFCI tester, a 6/1 screwdriver, and a telescoping inspection mirror.

The pouch goes with me where I go. Nothing else comes with me OR out of the bag unless ABSOLUTELY needed.

Originally Posted By: chorne

I do the same as Dan

works just fine

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman

Thanks guys,

This points me in a direction I was trying to find.

Rob Z.

Originally Posted By: mkober

I like wearing a tool belt/pouch for the things I need with me for most of the inspection: sounding hammer, phillips/flat screwdrivers, tape measure, etc. A rolling Stanley toolbox with extending handle ($25 from Wally World) carries all of the tools and test equipment, with each item removed/replaced as needed so as to not lose track of things. A separate nylon bag with shoulder strap holds gloves, camera, binoculars, flashlights, mirrors, knee pads, coveralls, rain parka and multiple pairs of slip-on, disposable boot covers (can’t take a chance on messing up the carpet).

MJK

1 Like

Originally Posted By: sbyrnes

ok, where do you find a small pouch that clips on your belt? I’ve looked in a lot of places and can’t find one worth while.

All Corners Home Inspections, Inc

Serving Pasco, Hernando, N. Pinellas & N. Hillsborough counties

Originally Posted By: tallen

The Home Depot has many to choose from.

Originally Posted By: mkober

Scott,

Try Home Depot or Duluth Trading Co.–although I don’t think you’ll find just the pouch alone. They usually come with the belt–I like the heavy nylon style, from which the pouch or pouches are removable. You can add a hammer holder and tape measure pouch as well, and the whole thing is easy-on, easy-off without having to undo your full-time trousers belt. In tight crawl spaces, the thing comes off and waits for me at the entrance so as to not lose things when the pouches are horizontal, but still available if I need something. My wife and business partner recently talked me into the vest-with-many-pockets route, but it hasn’t arrived yet and I’m sure will have to come off, too, in a low crawl space.

MJK

Originally Posted By: jpope

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: cradan

get dropped off at the scuttle (crawl or attic), by necessity.

Also keep a large separate rolling wheel-type toolbag loaded with 1/2 face respirator, dust masks, tyvek suits, wet wipes, paper towels, toilet paper roll, rainsuit, spare batteries, coloring books and crayons, bottled water, extra shirt/pants, etc. in the car. Don't use most of these items often, but the bag comes out if and when necessary.

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Also use a generic “gatemouth” for the tools and also leave it in an “accessible” area. I tried a variety of tool belts for walking around and ended up with a simple canvas carpenter’s apron (HD…I think). Less bulky, cheap, and it easily carries two stingers, my camera, and suretest with a pocket left over for water pressure gauge, moisture meter…whatever I think I’ll need. I use to carry a rock hammer around but now do the exterior and crawl with a modified extendable painters pole (sawn off roller on the end). Voltage sniffer in my pocket and a digital recorder around my neck and I’m good to go.

For crawls I've found that sticking everything I'm likely to need in a small plastic tray/tub works better in the tight ones.

I've got a 58 acre, two home ranch to do tomorrow. Don't know if there's any livestock but, just in case, anyone know how to hook up a few batteries to my "pointed stick"? I think I'm going to disclaim the grounds and fencing.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

what are you using the painter pole for?

Originally Posted By: jpope

sbyrnes wrote:
what are you using the painter pole for?

Probe.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

wow, sounds painful… oh, not that kind of probe.

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Jeff,

That tool belt looks too organized. Are you like me, kinda like Felix Unger to the extreme? icon_smile.gif

Erol