TPR discharge next to gas line

Any reportable issues you see with this? If so, how concerned?

The TPR discharge going through the hole in the wood and terminating next to a gas line made me at least stop and think but I’m not sure I know it’s a problem…

What do you think could happen with the current setup?

Honestly, not sure… I just know that a TPR discharges really hot water and really hot things next to combustible things scare me. I’m training. I don’t really think there is a problem, just trying to be careful and not miss things as I learn and see various setups.

Non-issue.

2 Likes

There are several issues/possible issues with that arrangement beyond your original question and possibly including your original questions. First your original question.

It is debatable whether the gas line components would be considered inaccessible since you can always remove/cut the TPRV discharge pipe to access it.

You have unions on the pipe utilizing pipe dope. Many pipe dopes are rated for temperatures up to 350 Degrees F. However that rating is a dry temp if you will. If that TPRV discharges due to high temp it can be 210 Degrees F and liquid under pressure. No telling what it might do to the pipe dope and hence the reliability of the seal.

The gas line has no visible sediment trap on it. You would need to view the water heater manuals to determine if they added one but not likely.

Now onto the TPRV discharge pipe itself.

Typical discharge pipe is 3/4" Dia. The discharge should be a minimum of 2 pipe diameters above the floor surface which would mean 1.5". Hard to tell from this angle but that may not be the case.

The discharge is suppose to be a location that will not cause damage to the structure. If that is gypsum board (drywall) behind that stand then a discharge, or even leakage, can cause damage to it and framing behind it. A discharge or leakage can also affect that vertical support for the water heater stand.

When you see a possible issue don’t fixate on just it. Look at the entire situation and surroundings with it. In this case I would report the TPRV discharge line as a possible obstruction to the gas line unions/elbow. But that would be as an aside to the other issues with the TPRV discharge pipe issues seen. The affected correction for the TPRV discharge pipe issues might well correct your other issue.

If you do not think a situation is right then report it anyhow. Let some contractor tell the owner your wrong and if the unthinkable happens its not on you!

2 Likes

As mentioned by most…non issues here.

1 Like

Based upon pic alone, NO Issue

1 Like