TPR Termination

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

eusa_doh.gif At a condominium complex where the units share a closet for their water heaters, I opened the door and was looking directly at this.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Jeff,

That looks like part of the water heater security system's anti tamper device ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: jpeck

What do you expect?

The last one which went off got water all over the wall and the other water heater. (See the water and rust stains?)

The installer said "That ain't gonna happen next time." ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

You may not be to far off Jerry. The other unit had the same set up.

![](upload://jMS4UfPnVS7ZBkSyjYc2RcYpIMb.jpeg)

Apparently the installer was a union guy ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) . He wasn't gonna touch the drywall

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

The second photo (of the water heater) shows they also forgot to strap that sucker to the wall.

Jerry Peck

South Florida

Originally Posted By: tallen

Jeff,

I love your posts.

You seem to have a knack for geting inspections with all kinds of crazy stuff. icon_cool.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Quote:
You seem to have a knack for geting inspections with all kinds of crazy stuff.

That's because I cover a large area. If I refused to drive over 20 miles, I wouldn't get a chance to inspect anything older than 1970 ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

jpope wrote:
Jerry,

Good call for a Southerner ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) . Or do they require straps in hurricane alley as well?

Nope, they are strapped where you are so they won't fall over when the earth shakes. Down here, they are inside (as yours are) but if the wind gets inside the house to the water heater, the water heater is probably the last thing you will be worried about. Down here, the intent and effort is spent keeping the wind OUT of the house. If that fails, the house fails (roof blows off, walls come down, etc.), so the water heater becomes the least of our worries at that time.

Quote:
Todd,

That's because I cover a large area. If I refused to drive over 20 miles, I wouldn't get a chance to inspect anything older than 1970 ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

You consider 20 miles a large area? I drive 60-80 miles one way to many of my inspections.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

So far the farthest I have had to drive to an inspection was about 60 miles 1 way. I added a $20 trip fee. On average I drive between 10 and 35 miles round trip. In Tucson for the most part 30 miles in any direction is mostly desert not much to inspect.

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Jerry P. wrote:
I drive 60-80 miles one way to many of my inspections.

yes but the bit you failed to mention is that you pitch a tent on the clients front lawn for 2 weeks while you write a large book about the property ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

My area ranges 180 miles, but the furthest so far has been 120miles…and I don’t charge extra for mileage. Not yet at least. My rates are a bit higher than my competitions though.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: mthomas

I just paid over $30 to fill up my Toyota, I will raise my prices to support OPEC. icon_evil.gif

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Back on topic…

here's a nice one:

![](upload://5e4V42mImvPWUUGakpCHCIMpQFn.jpeg)

24 year old heater original to the home. Besides the TPR not being in the tank what makes this really screwy is that the discharge line enters the "finished" wall and then re-emerges and terminates back into the garage at the base of the wall. So why bother?

No H/C bonding. Notice the fine use of plumbers tape wrapped around the tank. It,s fastened in one place only with a single screw. Yeah...that'll hold it!

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com