Transportation

Originally Posted By: Joe DiGiacomo
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I heard many times about Joe M’s Volvo and Gerry’s Station Wagon, My question is WHAT and WHY do many of you guys use as a means of transportation. Full size pickup / Van, Mini pickup / Van, Family sedan, moped??? I would imagine that a small pickup or mini van (white) that gets good gas mileage would be ideal When your just starting out how much credibility do you loose with the realtor for repeat business showing up in the Family Van?? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Joe D.

Most of these people will not see your new truck or van until after they have scheduled the inspection.

I don't think anyone has ever discriminated against me because I drive an old Volvo Wagon, most don't even know it is mine until I tell them or they see me loading my equipment into it.

If you plan on displaying the company name on your vehicle, I would seriously consider one that is pleasant to look, that does not mean it has to be new.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jremas

Good advice from Joe M. Don’t put your sign on anything that does not show professionalism. I think Igor has a sign on his chromed out Hummer.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Thanks for the advice. Joe, I wasn’t intending on buying new, been years since I bought new, couple years old with some warranty left usually is what I look for and then try and hold onto it until it dies. Just was not sure how much this influenced the realtor for repeats. I am always one for presenting yourself and your company (and it’s assets) in a professional manner, I believe that creates a reputation for your company. Sounds like in this business the trans you show up in is not all that important. That is why I had to ask.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: dbush

Joe, I use a Ford F150 with a shell on the bed. The shell allows me to keep my tools & ladders in the bed.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jremas

I am in a ford ranger p/u and need to be in something bigger but the gas mileage bothers me. I need room for my shovels, rake, sludge judge and 6’ step ladder. My 17’ Cosco ladder goes down to about 50" so that is not a problem. Would love to sell the car and truck and move to 1 vehicle. Don’t like the minivans, sorry Joe H…

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: rray

I use a 2000 Honda Accord V6 with 200 HP. I keep everything in the trunk, including inspectors. Unfortunately, that’s where the margaritas also are kept. The 200 HP allows me to quickly get away from the home inspection site.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Jeff, that’s where I was going with my question. How much space is practical vs. fuel consumption. Where can I find your 17’ ladder, is that what you use to get roof top? Nobody uses aluminum ext ladders?? How sturdy is that Cosco ladder, does it come bigger?

Joe D.

I think since you are an inspector many precieve you should be driving one of those redneck monster trucks, with flood lights all over the front bumper and the rollbar and don't forget the winch and the ball hitch.

The volvo is a little rough looking but it gets me where I need to go, every time. Maybe it does not look great but they (the realtors) know it gets me there before them! icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Joseph Myers wrote:
The volvo is a little rough looking but it gets me where I need to go, every time. Maybe it does not look great but they (the realtors) know it gets me there before them!

Perception is half the battle. And getting there before the Realtors and the Client is the other half. The inspection makes up the third half.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

Joe H,

Sorry but Joe M is a chicken, I won't travel up anything more than twelve feet at a time. If it goes straight up more than twelve feet, I don't! icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

My ladder is 12? feet. Discount the last ? foot and put my long, lanky body on it with my long, lanky arms, and a camera, and I can comfortably get up to 20 feet.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jhorton

I drive a full size truck. Not really good on gas but I like trucks and feel safer in it. I put a shell on the back of mine for two reasons. Main one was advertising! Second was because I could keep my fold up ladder and tools inside it relatively safe. As you can see I added a roof rack to carry my extension ladder too.

This is not a very good picture but I put my logo on there and name along with my slogan. I just snapped these and the sun is really glaring on it bad. You can see the rolling billboard. Vans make good bill boards too. Unless you have a big business I think you missing out by not using your car as advertising.

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

$60.00 for the magnetic sign set. There’s a match to the left on the right side.

$25.00 for the license plate.

Holds my $96.00 Costco knockoff of the 12.5 Little Giant Ladder & my 20' real Little Giant along with the tool box and tool bag real easy.

You just gotta love the look on people's faces when you start popping those little ladders out to their full length.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Joe, I know some good inspectors who use their car. The ladder used is the Little Giant 17’. Folds to 4.8’’ I believe.

Erol

Erol,

I have heard many good things about the little giant ladders. Many of the other inspectors use them just for their compactness. If you want one of them I heard you can buy them direct from the factory somewhat less than you would pay in the store. As for me the chicken, I will stick to 12 feet or less! icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Joe, I actually would prefer the 12.5’ version but doesn’t that greatly restrict the amount of roofs walked?

Thanks Erol

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty