Two weeks until I take the NHIE

Finally scheduled my exam for April 1. Read both the NHIE study guide books and have passed my Internachi exam a few times with good scores. Hoping to pass it first time out. Any tips would be appreciated. Wish me luck.

Eddie, there will be more than one correct answer on many questions. Choose the most correct answer.

If you don’t know the answer to a question, mark it. A later question usually has a hint at the most correct answer for that question.

Good luck and study! :smile:

2 Likes

Study!!! All the best taking the exam.

1 Like

Thanks Larry. Looking forward to the challenge of opening my own business.

1 Like

Thanks Peter. Hoping the inspection business will treat me well.

I’m sure it will give you what you put into it. Happy Inspecting !!!

3 Likes

Good luck future HI Brother

2 Likes

Thanks. Excited to start a new chapter in life.

I just took mine on Monday. I spent a lot of time last weekend going over the 2000 practice questions (testhttps://www.nachi.org/aboutexam.htm) it really helped. If I got the answer wrong I would look it up to find the correct answer. Good Luck!!!

Here it is:

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. Gonna read over my notes and skim the study guides again too.

Thank God I passed my exam today! Had a perfect score too…just kidding nowhere near perfect just relieved I made the cut and can focus on next steps to getting business started.

1 Like

Congratulations, Eddie, Well done! :+1:

Thanks Scott.

1 Like

Good job HI brother

1 Like

Congrats.
Now, how about sharing your thoughts on the test and why/where you think you lacked.
Others have helped you, now it’s time for payback!! :wink:

1 Like

Good point Mr. Jeffrey. Overall I think the test had lots of questions that I struggled with due to there being more than one right answer. Choosing the most correct answer is key. A few questions about solar power systems I wasn’t sure of.
Knowing correct terms for different framing components was important ex: purlins, trusses, etc.
There were a ton of questions about analysis and reporting and professional responsibility pertaining to ethics etc. Anyone taking the test should really brush up on chapter 7 and 8 of the NHIE structural systems and business manual. Also seemed to be lots of questions on chimneys and fireplaces that require studying to answer correctly.

1 Like

I read through both manuals completely once then skimmed through a second time the last couple of days before the test. Definitely not a test you can just wing it on. I think even an experienced inspector may have trouble if they didn’t read the NHIE books. They were definitely key in passing the exam.

1 Like

One more question…
Assuming someone does not have access to the NHIE study guide, what two (2) recommendations do you have for them to better their chances of passing the first time?

Thanks for the info. I’m sure it will help many!!

1 Like

I would say make sure you can pass the free Internachi exam with a decent score because if you can’t pass it you probably won’t pass the NHIE. Also study as if you are actually trying to know the material to inspect a home and not just pass the test. Knowing the SOP and ethical concerns would go a long way. Example: What would you do if you arrive at an appointment and find out the home is owned by a relative of yours?
Also study the little things outside the SOP such as swimming pool barriers and basic solar power setups and vocabulary.

1 Like