National Home Inspectors Exam

Are there any tips for taking the NHIE exam I hear it is a bear, questions purposely try to throw you off and a lot of people fail it the first time, taking exam in a few weeks any tips hints etc?

Try searching the forum

https://forum.nachi.org/search?q=National%20Home%20Inspectors%20Exam

Danny,
Get the book “Principles of Home Inspection” Systems and Standards by Carson Dunlap and Associates and study for several weeks prior to the test. There are also flash cards available online (Quizlet.com/ Cram.com) as an aid. Go to bed early the night before the test.

1 Like

It’s only a ‘bear’ if you don’t understand the material.
If you have zero experience in construction, you will likely fail.
What makes it ‘difficult’ to most is their thinking that since it is ‘multiple choice’, they will ‘guess their way through it’. Doesn’t work as there are multiple correct answers to the question, and they are looking for the “most correct” answer!
Good luck!

3 Likes

only know what I ve heard but thanks

appreciate the info

…but this worked back in my school days! :grin:

These may help you:

https://quizlet.com/178068924/national-home-inspector-practice-exam-flash-cards/

1 Like

Also, welcome to our forum, Danny!..Enjoy! :smile:

Danny, I would suggest purchasing the NHIE study guide. The chapters and the quiz questions it contains are modeled after the test. Good Luck!

1 Like

I agree with Joseph. I purchased the NHIE study guide book. Read it, quickly went over again, then took exam & passed 1st time. :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Are these the same as the courses on InterNACHI

Danny Smith

Hi Danny,

I was nervous when I took the test last week, but I passed on my first attempt no problem. What worked for me was:

1. Read every question through slowly twice, so you know what it is asking. Then, try to answer the question in your own words before you look at the multiple choice options. By slowing down to concentrate, I did not find the questions confusing.
  2. Practice pacing yourself with practice tests. 4 hours is a LOOOONG time to sit there with a high level of focus. To me, that was the hardest part. I took 3 1/2 of the 4 hours allowed.
  3. If you don’t know the answer to a question, don’t stress over it. Mark it to come back later if you have time, guess, and move on. If you have taken the study time to prepare, there will be plenty of questions you will be able to answer.

Best of luck to you!

4 Likes

I’ve heard those who sold their soul to satan had better outcomes… :crazy_face:

1 Like

The study guide that Joseph mentioned is a good way to go. I used it, there were a few questions word for word. The book is $29.95. Well worth it. Also, you can obtain practice tests.

Danny,

I also passed on my first attempt and agree with Heidi. Focus on her third response and mark/pass on the question and hopefully at the end of the exam you have 10-20 questions which were marked/passed. Repeat these questions and pass again if required. On your third review of these questions take a guess…

Good luck and study…

Study the information at NACHI. That is what I did and passed the 1st time. Studied for about three weeks, about 3 hours a night. Good luck
Al HI-4201

Here is an InterNACHI practice exam: Ultimate Home Inspection Practice Tool - InterNACHI®

Thanks appreciate it

Dan

Thanks

Dan