U.S.G. Handy Fill insulation in 81 year old home

! I inspected the attic of this old home and found this wrapper from U.S.G. handy fill insulation.
From what Ive found it is a themafiber insulation used to achieve a fire rating and suspect vermiculite type product and that it has asbestos in it. I’ve done some searching on the web but haven’t found anything conclusive. I haven’t mentioned in the report yet because I want to make sure. Is anybody familiar with this product? I’m a new inspector, Thanks.

Does not look like vermiculite from here. It is more crystallin looking. Only way to find out if there is asbestos in it is a lab test.

Cheers

Thanks, when I saw the USG on the bag it raised doubts because of their mesothelioma class action suit on drywall and and that they added it “other products”.

Never assume a package wrapper discovered on-site has any meaning!!
If you don’t visually see the product in question, it doesn’t exist!
The mentioned product may have already been remediated, or a devious homeowner placed the packaging there to ‘bust’ an inexperienced inspector to discredit any discoveries that may halt the sale!! One never knows the evil in some peoples hearts!!

It kind of looks like cellulose. BUT, see bolded above.

Thanks for the great advise. I’ve found out that the division that made that product has gone out of business in 1979. Which is probably why I’m having a hard time finding info. on it.

Thanks, good advise

Yep! …

From what I see this is cellulose insulation in the attic. Who know’s why the bag is there. I don’t think they are related but not positive.