CUT ENGINEERED I-BEAM

Originally Posted By: jcooper2
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Cut Engineered I Beam ]

[ Image: Support Post ]

The support post is placed on a precast concrete block like used to support a deck, over the vapor barrier.

My concern is that the builder jury-rigged this support, and that the owner of the new house, didn't know to ask any questions.

In my write-up I stated that "a floor joists is cut at the crawlspace entrance. Although there are no indications of movement in the structure, This potentially weakens the joist and risks structural damage. Recommend evaluation by a structural engineer to determine if floor section is properly supported."

Think that just about covers it?

icon_redface.gif After I posted this I realized that the vapor barrier was pulled up around the block, not under it. Attention to detail.

John Cooper

Originally Posted By: lewens

John

The whole thing, while looking jury rigged, will probably do the job. Who ever did this was too lazy to go to the lumber yard and buy a new engineered joist. If he/ she would have just headed it off properly at both ends the post would not be needed and the job would have been ok at that point. However, having said that I think I would do as you suggest and have an engineer look at it and let him put his seal on his report to take away your liability. It is probably ok but to be sure I would head it off properly.

Just my usual 12.5 cents

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: lewens

By the way

Is that cotton batt insulation in the photo? If it is I would like permission to use the photo.

Thanks

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

I wouldn’t have detailed this “fix,” but it looks like it will work very well. I think you did the correct thing by referring to an engineer.

Curtis

Larry,

That is generic fiberglass batt insulation. No color, and no attached vapor barrier. Aluminized paper vapor barrier was tacked up over the hydronic heating tubes, then this pushed up between the joists.

--
John Cooper

Originally Posted By: pbolliger

I think a further evaluation by a structural engineer is best.

Looks like a quick fix to me. The joist , the way it is "trapped" squash blocks or not and the footing looks like it needs a further eval. Not much joist overlap on the "post".

The load bearing is on a bracket that looks like you use for something other then it's current application. Two 2x4's hmmm a home center pre-made foot? I bet the "foot" is just laying on top of the crawlspace floor material whatever that maybe.

Originally Posted By: rgallahorn

I don’t see a hanger on the I-beam at the support, is it only toe nailed? ! & 1/2 on wood, 3 on concrete, or approved hanger in my eyes. Verify manufacturers recommended installation instructions.