Unfortunate Strapping

Unfortunately, this homeowner had the roofer install the straps on his home and is resulting in him getting toenail due to improper installation.

Why? :wink:

Attached to the wall top plate of the wall framing, or embedded in the bond beam, with less than a ½" gap from the blocking or truss/rafter and blocked no more than 1.5” of the truss/rafter, and free of visible severe corrosion.

B. Clips Metal connectors that do not wrap over the top of the truss/rafter, or Metal connectors with a minimum of 1 strap that wraps over the top of the truss/rafter and does not meet the nail position requirements of C or D, but is secured with a minimum of 3 nails.

C. Single Wraps Metal connectors consisting of a single strap that wraps over the top of the truss/rafter and is secured with a minimum of 2 nails on the front side and a minimum of 1 nail on the opposing side.

Space sure looks greater than a 1/2 inch to me and un blocked. The pretty little bend does not count.

Cory,

What was your reasoning?

Wouldn’t this installation limit the uplift resistance to “pull out” rather than “shear” of the nails?

Underwriters will not accept this because of the inferior uplift resistance. If the wind starts pulling up that roof, it’s going to be pulling those nails out one-by-one. It can definitely be left up to the underwriter since it does technically meet what the OIR is stating. This is just going off of what has been rejected before in past experience.

You ask WHY? That strapping is not even close to manufacturer’s recommendations and you know that. Forget about following the form’s vagueness.

FYI, roofing contractors are not qualified to install RTW connectors, and this is the reason why.

Note the emoticon…

And I am sure you have the data to back that statement up, right?

These people can:
Broward County Board of Rules and Appeals Policy 07-01 Effective 10-12-07
Q. Can the certification for the installation of metal connectors, clips, straps, fasteners and
additional structural elements be satisfied by an affidavit as opposed to an on site inspection by
the local building department?
A. Yes.
Q. Who can perform this certification?
A. Florida Professional Engineer, Registered Architect, Licensed General Contractor, Building
Contractor, Residential Contractor or persons certified in the structural discipline under FS 468
excluding Standard Roofing Inspector.
Q. Does the 15% of the cost of the re-roof include the cost of the investigation and subsequent
report and actual work?
A. Yes, it includes everything out of the scope of a normal re-roof.
Q. Can a permit for the installation of metal connectors, clips, straps, fasteners and additional
structural elements be issued to a Roofing Contractor?
A. No.
Q. Can a Roofing Contractor install metal connectors, clips, straps, fasteners and additional
structural elements?
A. No.
Q. What contractor can be issued a permit and perform the installation of metal connectors, clips,
straps, fasteners and additional structural elements?
A. A Florida Licensed General Contractor, Building Contractor, Residential Contractor and the
homeowner when an owner/builder permit is requested.

To the OP: I would have asked to see some paperwork for this installation as it was done when the home was re-roofed. Short of that, I would mark it as “other” until proper permitting showed up.

And in reality, I would already have those answers before I got to the inspection, if I even bothered to do it.