Unusual floor joist support?

Inspecting a crawlspace in a 10 year old home today and noticed this support; looks like it was added post-construction, and the configuration of 2X8’s nailed together, then nailed into the joist seems to not be a typical support. Anyone have any thoughts?

What was directly above the built-up column?

2 Likes

As Simon asked, what’s directly above it. It was clearly added after the fact. I had to install a temporary brace under the floor of my last house because my aquarium was too heavy for the joists and they sagged and the tank shook when people walked by it. This would not be a typical reinforcement for a subfloor.

Most likely a support wall was replaced with a beam an two columns. This appears to transfer a column load to the ground.

Point load support. It is when the load from above is transferred down to the footing.

the living room

It is obvious that they cut out part of the rat slab to pour the proper size and depth footing to support a load-bearing point load. The post should be setting on rot-resistant material. PTL

Agree with Scott.

Posts above have mentioned good points, like the post should be bearing on pressure-treated lumber, but load paths should be direct-bearing, meaning that they should not be dependent on the shear strengths of fasteners like nails or screws, which is the situation and defect shown here.

The post needs to be located directly under the girder to provide direct bearing. Shown here, the load path depends on the shear strength of nails which is far lower than the rated bearing load of a post directly supporting a load.

I don’t see what you are looking at? I see the post directly under the floor joist and most likely under the load path. I have seen this same detail on blueprints for a remodel job signed off by a SE.

Morning, Steven. Hope this post finds you well.

Typically/Usually when I ran into a situation like yours, I asked for disclosure for the added support.
In other situations the added weight was present in the home. Grand piano, Marble statue, Open sided manufactured gas fireplace with the length orientated parallel with the floor joist.

In your case, one column for one floor joist leads me to consider the extra weight was oriented parallel with that floor joists.

Professional looking.
:thinking:What I can not figure out is why the contractor positioned 2x6 plank on its side next to the floor joist. The rigidity of that plank is minamul.

WTF are you talking about? Some times you make sense and some times you don’t,

3 Likes

Only when he does a “Cut & Paste”!

2 Likes

For those that need cartoons to follow a storyline :wink:

1 Like

Better than never making sense like the reply from JJ.

That is the floor sheathing. :upside_down_face:

@ryoung7 are you in there? I am waiting for a reply.
tenor (8)

1 Like

Yes, plywood sheathing! :grinning:

1 Like

I agree with the point loading up above, and whether it is there now or not is somewhat irrelevant, it is still wrong.

What is ‘it’?

Yes it may appear to be sheathing but it may appear to be LVL. Hard to tell for me from the image. I looked for span breaks.
You could have express or said, Robert I do not understand what you are describing? Looks like plywood sub flooring.

So where’s the breaks in the subfloor sheathing spans?
And why is there a thermal break on the underside of the insulated thermal blanket of the unconditioned crawl space ceiling?