Upside-down breaker

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/ep2.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: bsmith

The breaker is an Australian model. It is installed correctly, just in the wrong hemisphere.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

This belongs in the IAEI magazine “violations” feature.

I don’t recognize this panel but I am surprised this can even happen. My advice, mark this as a serious defect and suggest they get an electrician in there to look it over.

I see at least 3 possible violations in one short glance.

(The improperly installed breaker, the fact that it is made up as a “main” with a grounded neutral and the open KO in the top left).

It also looks like it is being backfed via the 2 pole breaker and that requires a retention device on the breaker. I bet if an electrician looks he will find more problems.

Oops, 4 violations. There are 2 neutral connections on one screw (bottom one)

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Greg!

Please change "IAEI" to" EC&M" ... ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Circuits are probably not marked too.

What's with the remark about being an Australian model?

"Up" is "On" and "Down" is "Off"

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

I have never seen a panelboard that would let you plug in a breaker upside down. This is really ugly tho. Certainly worth a red tag or whatever a HI does when he finds a “dead rat”.

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Just trying to make a joke, Joe.

Bill

Originally Posted By: dbozek

Just when ya thought ya seen it all…wt%$^ is that? icon_lol.gif

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

Did this box have a cover on it?

Yes, an old Square D cover. None of the circuits were labeled.

I don't believe the panel is backfed through the breaker. The panel looks to me to be fed at the left. The 50-amp breaker feeds a "subpanel" directly below this panel.

By the way, we loved the Australian breaker model. Classic. Had us rolling for a good 15 minutes.

Yup Ray I see it now. This is a sub feeding another sub? I am guessing this guy just came up with a bunch of free equipment over the years and used it Why the breaker is upside down will probably just have to be a mystery. It could be that this isn’t a breaker for this panel and he just “made it work” but it sure looks like the others. That leaves us with a “design” decision and a flaw in the original panel design that allowed it to happen at all.

He may have wanted to make it different looking because that was something he wanted identified in the dark or something. You can really do some detective work to sort these things out. I imagine the first thing to do would be to try and turn it over to see if that works. You may see the reason then.

This is the kind of thing I would like to send to Jim Pawley at Square D, assuming they made the panelboard. He might say they stopped making that model because you could put in a breaker upside down.

The breaker itself doesn’t look like anything they make now but the actual handle end itself does look like a square D “QO” handle.

Originally Posted By: Randy Flockton

The panel in the above link is a Square D “XO” panel…(Duplicate panels & breakers were also made by Cutler Hammer) The panel is usually mounted vertically vs. this horizontal installation… These were popular in the 40’s & 50’s installations. The breakers are flipped directions to change which phase they are connected to…

Here's one I came across 2 days ago

-Randy

--
"Prices subject to change with customers additude"

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

bsmith wrote:
Just trying to make a joke, Joe.

Bill

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

I know! Up at the podium, and under my breath with a smile!

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

OK that makes some sense now, thanks

I have never seen an XO panel before.

That makes the problem with the top picture a mounting error, along with the double lugged neutral, the open KO and regrounding the neutral in a sub.