Warranty benefits have helped us

While I’ve been in business for a while(10+) years, I am always amazed when I see another post about how inspectors feel that offering a warranty with the inspection is a bad thing. I feel that when it’s free for the buyer, that it covers many issues on systems or appliances or sewer lines, structural and more, that were working fine during the inspection, and are now covered and saved the buyers money, how is that a bad thing?
There was no way to predict the failure of the item. No way to know when it will fail. No way to sugarcoat a phone call from the buyer when they call us with a problem and we tell them “too bad, it was working when we did the inspection, nothing we can do.”
True peace of mind is knowing that many buyers with a problem become a great referral for my company, many times simply because we helped them out when they needed help with their new home.
If you haven’t tried Residential Warranty Services and the Inspector Services group, I recommend you call and just talk to them. It has helped our business stand out from the competition for 10 years.

2 Likes

It’s not free for the client, who is now made a commodity. It costs them their personal information and privacy. It’s only free for the home inspector.

IMO: This post belongs in the spam forum.

5 Likes

I agree with Chuck.
It’s just another gimmick that’s not needed to do a home inspection.

2 Likes

It’s not costing the client anything, even their personal info. They have every opportunity to opt out, no questions. You’re still not addressing the issue of who covers their repairs when they have an issue.

1 Like

You can agree with Chuck, but it’s not a gimmick if the client is the one that benefits getting a repair paid for, and they are happy with the inspection and how we helped them when they needed help. How do you handle that call when it comes, and you know you have had those calls? Just curious, what’s your process?

The homeowner or the warranty company they choose (Not the one that sells and resells their personal information). Same thing they do after your wonder warranty expires or their claim gets denied. And yes, they certainly do pay for gimmicks.

Anything that the HI get for free and the client pays for does not make you stand out, at least not in a positive way, from your competition. It has no moat. Anyone can offer it at no cost (except perhaps integrity).

Just curious, does this make you stand out too?

2 Likes

The other problem is that these warranties rarely pay out. The fine print contains limitations, max claim and other limitations. They remind me of the 3rd party Auto Warranties. IMO just a gimmick I choose not to get involved with.

3 Likes

That is absolutely awesome and very well written. Thanks for sharing. Would you be interested in selling an editable copy where I could plug in my info?

1 Like

It’s been a while since we’ve seen Scott Seaton, Jr. — their last post was 1 year ago

I see you haven’t posted here for a very long time. Which leads me to believe the Little Man from Inspector Services Group persuaded you to post this nonsense.

How many free widgets did he dangle in front of you?

1 Like

Thank You!

The whole website is for sale

https://forum.nachi.org/t/massive-inspector-website-and-related-intellectual-property/158889/6

1 Like

Thanks for the replies Chris and Chuck, normally I’m kind of busy so I don’t have a lot of posting time. I just thought the little man could use some help and maybe another inspector would find some value like I did and check it out. Just kidding, he needs no help. Also, I don’t consider the warranties “widgets”. My clients and agents and sellers all love them. Not a big deal if you don’t think they work. Your business, your choice. If this an open forum, then I guess you had your say, and so did I. Have a great Christmas.

Maybe we’ll hear from you again next year about this time.

These posts are always entertaining to read and generally give a good laugh. I like how they advertise “Free 90 Day Widget Warranty” on their sites when in fact it is not. Typically these Widgets are obtained in several ways.

1. The Inspector sells/trades the clients personal information for the Widget Warranty they give so the client can get spammed by all manner of people.

2. The Inspector pays for the Widget Warranty (usually some small amount) and then adds it to the cost of the inspection. Of course they claim they don’t add the cost in to the inspection fee but that only shows stupidity on their part on how to run a business.

3. The Inspector gets up on the bulletin boards to shill the 90 Day Widgets and demean themselves in the process just to get a few free ones to hand out.

No such thing as free and certainly not for anything worth having!

1 Like

Thanks for the friendly put downs. I guess I’m still going to have to wait another year to hear anyone actually answer the question of how do you help your client, the buyer, when their sewer line collapses or their furnace breaks down? …Hoping you tell me you’re self covering the repair, or it’s all on the client. That’s good to know.

Are you shilling for the various Widget providers? How about answering the question how do you help your client, the buyer, when their sewer line collapses or their furnace breaks down after the 90 Day Widget period? Also answer how much of an average $7K - $10K sewer line replacement cost the 90 Day Widget actually covers? How about how much of the cost for an $8K HVAC system (furnace/heater/AC) does the 90 Day Widget actually pay for if the system fails and it is more economical for the client, your buyer, to replace it instead of repeatedly cobbling it back together with cheap repairs?

If I truly missed it & the client performs a proper notice under the agreement, I eat it.
Most likely, as I tell them from the beginning, systems or items can fail at anytime. I cannot predict future events.
In that case they must learn & accept the responsibilities of home ownership.
It may sound a little heartless, but I am not hired or there to help for future repairs/maintenance. :cowboy_hat_face:

The 90 day limited warranties do have marketing value. I use them occasionally but have never made a big presence of them on my website as you do.
If I “sense” a potential client is being cheap about the fee, I may pitch it on the phone to close the sale but it doesn’t come up very often.
I’ve been around for a long time & most of my work is referral driven. They just call to place the order, no sales effort required.
As a consumer, it looks suspicious to me when your site is jammed packed with all those images all over the place.

Merry Christmas

1 Like

His advertising says it all. Barely mentions the home inspection because it’s all about the free shit. his clients are thoroughly commoditized by him.

He seems to show up here about once a year to make false/unfounded allegations about the members, which he can’t defend or to shill with spam posts.

The best thing I ever did was get away from RWS and the arrogant little man. His products are not worth a crap and they don’t cover anything. Our phones stopped ringing with complaints and our business actually increased once we stopped using his crap. If you are really a professional and do a good job you don’t need to offer warranties or anything.

6 Likes

I used to give warranties as well. I stopped doing it because my business determined I didn’t need it. I actually have been thinking about revisiting that decision. I just dont understand all the crap this guy is getting about his post… if you dont agree, scroll on by… if he’s been inspecting for 10 years, then he’s had some success.

1 Like

Not shilling for anyone. I use them, they work for me and my clients appreciate the fact that we can help them if something fails, after the inspection. I have never stated, nor has anyone ever at RWS, that we cover everything. So to make it simple, here’s an example. Most sewer lines that fail, are in one location of the line. Fix that and the sewer works again. Warranty never said the entire sewer line would be replaced. The repair of th failed section is far less than a complete line replacement.
Same story, different system, the ENTIRE HVAC system rarely needs to be replaced. Nearly every furnace can be repaired. Never said the entire system would be repaired because of an ignitor gone bad or a bad burner. If it has issues, then it’s in the report. They do not cover items that were brought up in the report. Never have, and it would be stupid to say it’s covered.
As I said before, if the system is working as it should with no issues, and it fails, it’s covered for some or all of the repair. The buyer is happy, the agent is happy, and that’s the best referral that can be given.