Washinton State License Information

Originally Posted By: smcauley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Goodmorning, We have just been informed that the Washington State Dept of Agriculture requires all home inspections to carry an WSDA number which can only be obtained be being a Licensed Pest Inspector – seems anyone reporting on any “wood destroying organisms or conditions conducive to their development” – e.g. “termites, wood infesting beetles and wood rot … soil in contact with wood, water in structure from poor drainage or a plumbing, failed caulk … restircted or failing gutter systems…” The tough part is the requirement for “financial coverage” in the form of $25,000 E&O insurance providing coverage for at least two years from the date on any inspection – or other equally expensive options. Please see http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/LicensingEd/CaSpiInfo.htm for the full scoop.

![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Stephen…

Yep...been that way for a while. SPI is a fairly easy license to obtain, but the insurance requirement is another expense. The plus is that I occasionally get asked to do a pest only inspection. Normally easy money and a quicky on-site report (especially if the home is clean).

I curious...you said "We have just been informed...etc". Did the State come after you? I didn't know that there was actually any "policing" going on.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Note who our guest speaker is at http://www.nachi.org/pugetsoundchapter.htm

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: smcauley

Richard – no policeing (that I know of) but we just set up the home inspection side of the business and our search for license requirements showed nothing in WA and the NACI site also said no lrequirements. The local real estate association just tipped us off and now we are scrambling. Where did you end up getting pest inspector insurance?

Originally Posted By: mrichardson

Actually, there is at least weak policing. An inspector I met recently told me he was “turned in” by a competitor. He had a SPI license, but wasn’t using the WSDA form. WSDA warned him.

As far as I know the cheapest route is a Bond for about $125-150. The alternative is to carefully avoid references to WDO or conducive conditions in your reports.

I have the license and advertise a SPI as part of my Full Home Inspection as well as a seperate service.

Mike

Originally Posted By: mrichardson

Sorry, didn’t notice your question about where for insurance/bonding.

Try Pickett Insurance Agency in Vancouver Wa. Sorry I don't have a phone number. The guy to talk to is Gil Stuart, as I recall.

Mike

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

More licensing information will be given at http://www.nachi.org/pugetsoundchapter2.htm

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.