Water Test

Originally Posted By: ksutherland
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just landed inspection that will include a water test. The customer says the house had not been occupied for 6 month and during that time she believes that mold grew in the plumbing. I have not been to the house yet, but she says when she uses the kitchen sink, she starts to smell mold. So, I am going to have a water test done for her. This will be my first water test.

My questions are.

1) Are the self test kits as creditable as having a lab preform the test?

2) When choosing a lab test. Do you use there most general or specific test?(ex. General=lead & bacteria, specific= lead only or bacteria only)

3) What is the average price per test for you as the home inspector?

4) Can anyone recommend any good labs in Southeast Florida?

Thanks
Kevin Sutherland
Good Guy Inspections

Originally Posted By: randerson

Kevin, just one thing about mould. We have a working arrangement with an insurance adjusting firm. They have an environmental division and when discussing mould they told us that while there are approximately 300 different types of mould, only a small percentage (less than 2%) are considered to be serious health hazards. A mould test should be recommend along with the water test.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

would be growing in the supply plumbing. I think it very likely that bacteria may be growing in the supply plumbing esp around the spout.

If she does indeed smell mold (not bacteria) when using the kitchen sink I would tend to think that it is not from the supply but instead coming up from the waste line as the water goes down. If this is the case a water test would not give you the expected results. Dumping some bleach down the drain may clear it up.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Kevin,

I agree with Paul. If the house has been empty chances are real good that the traps have all dried out and gases may what she smells. Regardless your original question was do the self test kits work? Why bother with a kit you have no confidence in. You can buy the Pro-lab test kits for bacteria, nitrates, nitrites, pesticides, individually or a whole house water test kit at Lowe’s or I believe even Home Depot for about $30. You take the samples, then send them off to Pro-Lab which is what you would do with a kit bought directly from Pro-labs. Ive never used them but I know a lot of folks that swear Pro-Lab is great. Pro-Lab is located in south Florida so the turn around time for you should be very good. If all fails give them a call. Hope this helps. As for price…set your own price. Whatever is fair in your estimation for the services rendered.

Originally Posted By: dplummer

Kevin, Use a lab. The self kits are not as reliable as a government approved lab. Have them test for everything. Is the water from a well or city water? Make sure you take the screen off the tap & run the water for a couple of minutes before you fill the sample bottle. $100-$150 is what we charge depending on the cost of the lab & courier charges. Doug

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
Make sure you take the screen off the tap & run the water for a couple of minutes before you fill the sample bottle.

Very true, but also don't forget to sterilize the spout with a burning match after removing the screen. If the spout is plastic, then I wipe it with an alcohol swab.
Sterilization is very important. ![](upload://p5opi06Vte1NTOZ2aCqbwVMQKCI.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: dplummer

David, Great tip! Thanks. Doug

Originally Posted By: janderson

Watch out when inspecting homes that have been vacant for a while, interesting phenomena icon_eek.gif

http://www.pcfl.net/build/fng/family/dishwasher.html

--
Within the seeds of ignorance lie the fruits of denial

Jeremiah

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

icon_eek.gif Wow!

Thanks for sharing the article.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: tallen

Great article. Kind of scary though icon_eek.gif

Thanks for sharing

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005