Water well testing

This is exactly why I asked Peter what was included in his “standard” testing, as it seems very, uh… affordable.

I was researching Lab’s a couple of years ago, and found Joe H.'s pricing to be very realistic. The Lab fee’s for the FHA required series of tests averaged almost $300.

Whatever you do is fine with me. I simply passed on some good advice that we received in our class.

When I hear about an inspector being sued…I check to see if it is me. When I determine it is not me and it is someone else - that pretty much ends my deep personal concern with the matter.:wink:

Jeff, what is included in the FHA test you are speaking off?

I’ll have to dig and see if I can locate the lab info for the pricing I stated. I lost all the links to that info when my computer fried two months ago. I’ll try and get it tonight for you.

I currently do not perform any water testing (sampling) due to limited Labs in my area, and cost of the Lab work. If I could find a quality Lab that is approved by the counties and state, I could do a lot of testing/sampling. The cost is cheap for a homeowner to perform, as most all counties (agriculture) will test for free or close to it ($10-$15).

Thanks Jeff, i would be interested in what you have. The lab I use is small as I said, husband and wife and quality control is extremely important to them. They are state approved and do water testing for many municipalities in the area.

The test I mentioned, that I charge $140.00 for meets all VA, HUD and federal guidelines.

I also inform my client what the test covers and send them a copy of the lab results.

As Joe said, anybody can be sued. I have been inspecting and taking water samples in NH since 1995, also my girlfriend works for DES, sub surface bureau and neither of us have heard of a lawsuit in NH stemming from an error or omission from a lab.

Good subject, I enjoy hearing other inspectors opinions about it.

Peter,

You just need to be clear which components are subject to testing.
Inquire if there are any particular areas of concern and offer additional testing (upsell) to satisfy those concerns.

Thanks Joe, this is from NH DES. I cover everything they recommend in the standard test and add radon for an extra $85.00 if combined.

Here’s the link to DES
http://des.nh.gov/organization/divisions/water/dwgb/well_testing/documents/well_testing.pdf

Peter,
I searched my external HD, and couldn’t locate the link’s. I can probably come up with a couple in a day or so. Just need time to research again. I did a quick Google search, and found this… (I thought it offered some interesting info and also found it amusing… almost felt like “home”). http://forum.brokeroutpost.com/loans/forum/2/299575.htm

Jeff, thats funny, thanks. How many of you guys test for Arsenic? This is part of the standard test I offer. Here is a link to a good video about Arsenic in drinking water which was put out by Dartmouth.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~toxmetal/program-resources/research-translation/InSmallDoses/index.html