Wet OSB I joists

Originally Posted By: gmagee
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I found a wet OSB I joist near a leaking ice maker line. What happens to the structural integrity of OSB that has been wet for a long time? icon_confused.gif

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Greg:

The OSB web of an I-joist can be cut out almost completely in some cases and not compromise the integrity of the member (as long as the top and bottom chords are not damaged or cut) . Having said that,
If the OSB has a fungus infestation a proper cleaning and sealing should take care of that.

Check the Manufacturer's specification of the I-Joist and compare the damaged area to the allowable bored hole size of the member.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

I am sorry to be disagreing with Russell, but I would be concerned about major moisture damage within the web of an engineered joist. all of the joist manufactures have detailed what and what cannot compromise the intergrity of a web, and in most cases the size of knock outs and other penetrations is stricktly controlled, as OSB looses any rigidity when it's been subject to moisture for a long time I would be concerened about this.

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Peter Foxe Smothers

Great link Robert.

Thanks!