What about the Hz's

Most all of the thermal cameras in my price range, $2500-$5k, are 9 Hz. I’ve seen a lot of mention about 60Hz cameras. What is the benefit of more Hz?

coming from a guy with no formal training or education in thermography (that will change though in the future) from what I remember reading back when I bought my little toy E5 at the beginning of the year, its how fast the camera processes movement…

my little guy (which is awesome for what it is, and the cost) if you move it to fast (and its not really that fast) it takes the camera a few seconds to “catch up”

Hmmm…I can see some advantage to that.

I could be wrong. But video run at 60hz so i think to be able to take video from the camera it would need a 60hz refresh rate.
Ie. Only cameras with 60hz will have option to record video.

Testo 876 streams video, and it’s 9hz.

Here ya go
http://flir.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/913/~/difference-between-9-hz-and-60-hz-cameras

The 60hz for video only is not true. There are cameras at 30hz and 33 hz that do video. I am sure there are other hz’s as well that do video but I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

Think of it this way. Remember Gumby (I prefer to use Mr Bill for this analogy but not everyone knows who he is)? Now think of Anime. 9hz is Gumby, 60hz is Anime.

9hz is very choppy as you move around. I don’t know of a video 9hz camera but I will take Frank’s word on the 876 being 9hz and video. Honestly I think what you are seeing there is a 33hz camera that can be bought as a 9hz camera. The camera stock is 33hz with video. 9hz is the cut off rate for export of cameras from a legal standpoint. So if a manufacturer makes a unit with greater than 9hz refresh then it would be easy for them to firmware (or whatever means) the same camera down to 9hz so it can be exported.

As a side note the 876 has been discontinued for quite some time…2 years maybe?

Jason Kaylor
Net Zero Tools
AC Tool Supply
877-207-1244

Yep. Also, one should not assume that the onboard video recording frame rate will match the screen refresh rate either. There are imagers which create choppy video when recording onboard, but the same imager will create smooth video when an external recorder is used.

Nothing is simple in the IR realm.

Does that make the 876 not a good camera?

I didn’t hear Jason say anything even remotely like that.

Whether a particular device is a good thermal imager or not depends on what you intend to do with it. The FLIR EX320 is an outstanding imager which has been discontinued for quite a few years now. However, it would be a lousy choice for you if you wanted to capture visible light images or video in the imager, produce fusion images, swap out memory cards, etc.

The rate at which the cameras records and delivers thermogram images per second.
That being said.
Using a camera rated at 9Hz translates into (9) nine thermogram images taken every second.
The same would hold true for a 60Hz thermal camera.
That’s all Frank.
I hope that helped.

Shipping thermal imaging cameras outside of the America and Canada is another story.

If my memory serves me well, 9Hz thermal cameras can be shipped legally across most borders.
33Hz, 60Hz and soon to be on the market 120,Hz thermal cameras and their companions require a specialized licensed broker.

Thermal imaging products based on sensitive technologies are controlled by export laws. The technology in high refresh rate thermal imaging cameras and thier laser technology can be used to develop weapons of mass destruction.

9 hz is just a big pain in the backside!!!

Chuck, I still use a BX 320. It is much faster than other cameras and can be operated with one hand (for a long time). It is also a 320 x 240 which blows away 90% of the cameras used by inspectors here.

BTW; I have adapted it to take digital as well as video (but always use another camera for that when needed now).

I was considering selling it, but the quality of cameras today are not up to this standard any more, in my opinion. I will use it till it can’t run no more!

The BX320 is a excellent camera I still have mine for a back up but rarely use it

BTW I still have my old B cam as well it makes a good paper weight;-)

I know that mine was a whole lot more reliable than my T series imager, easier to focus and much more responsive too. Sorry I don’t have it anymore.

It begs a question to be asked, are these camera’s functioning, and are you gentlemen willing to part with them for a negotiated fee?

These are wonderful cameras.
In my opinion, they would be very useful tools for astute members looking at entering into the thermal imaging market place.

I see a real opportunity here for all involved.
Set aside any personal assumptions that they are used models.
Other than that, the camera’s will help anyone wanting to develop their skills at becoming a thermograpther.
They can also see if they wish to pursue the many careers that branch off of thermal imaging.

The best part of this collaboration would be, you would have a very serious thermographer mentoring you with the cameras they used helping you along your journey.

Just a thought.

PS: I checked the specs. They surpass infrared Resnet entry level camera’s, have 3 moveable spots, and will be a fine learning tool for an astute home inspector.

Fluke Ti300 60Hz.
It’s about $5,500 + tax Frank.

I kept mine as a back-up camera (like Charlie). But I use it A LOT!

I don’t think I want to be put in a place where I have to consider any of the new cameras. Just pick the two up and you can feel the difference.

All those bells and who-ha’s are easier used in software than in the camera on site. If you don’t use them every day, you’ll probably forget you even have them.

All you need is:

Ease of focus.
Hi resolution.
High sensitivity.
A laser.
Good battery life.
Easy manual adjustments and correction setting.

Interesting thought though Robert.

The BX320 was a $12,000.00 camera.
It was considered the best camera on the market (in it’s time).
What do you think I could get for it?
Price of an I3?

I’m thinking about the Flir E40Bx, it’s 60Hz. I had a line on a “new” Testo 876 Kit, that includes extra battery, charger, and some other things, retail is about $4000, the guy was asking $2600 on ebay, I got him down to $1800, but it’s without a warranty. I’m just going to buy new with a warranty. Ooh, the E8 looks mighty fine, but only 9hz. Decisions, decisions.

Thank you David for you wonderful reply.
I am sure there must be a fit with this association, maybe Infraspection Institute and putting pre-owned Infrared Camera’s in the hand of willing and able aspiring thermographers.

I was thinking that if a student from InterNACHI took and passed one of Infraspection’s entry level courses, they would become intelligible for a “package mentor-ship program” sponsored by InterNACHI, Infraspection and the vendor/mentor of the camera.

A real “as iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another idea.”
Like the 80 hour honorary educational certificate InterNACHI offers it’s members.

Dam I forget the person who’s name the award was named after.
I could have won the award my first year at InterNACHI but did not bother enrolling.
I was happy enough being able to educate right here and had the support of Roy and other astute members.

Nice camera David.
I like how the screen is angled/offset so you can get the lens 90 degrees to the objects without have to become a circus contortionist.

Pass on the 876. It’s not made any-more.

Look at the testo 875i-1
0.08°C at 30°C (80mK)
33Hz
IR blending :slight_smile:
9 palettes

Give a a look…Give a look!

Like David’s camera’s sensitivity

$2,700 manual focus!
Algorithm upgradeable to 320 X 240 for under $500.

I have a Fluke Ti100
I will let it go for $1,200 Canadian.
You have to do everything in the software in the office or bring a tablet/laptop to the job.
Full wireless connection.
Only infrared images but at that price you can’t go wrong as an entry level.