What are the three different flashing approaches for chimney's?

One of the study questions ask how may approaches to flashing a typicaly chimney but I haven’t found any information on this anywhere.

Practice Questions - InterNACHI®

Can anyone provide some links? Preferably external supporting links. It almost seems like a nachi concept.

1 Like

@mcyr yes, I’ve seen that article as well as a dozen others but none of them answer the question. None of the articles would lead anyone to believe that there are exactly three approaches, not two or four approaches. Just three and only three approaches. You would get this question wrong otherwise. I’m trying to study for my license exam in Alberta and I’d rather understand the correct answer than simply memorize it.

Well, when it comes to chimneys, you have two sides that are typically the same and you have the apron and head flashing, which makes 3, so I am not sure what else to answer your question. How would you get the question wrong if you know how to flash a chimney?

2 Likes

Try this link from Priddy Chimney Sweeps

Essentially, chimney flashing functions as weather stripping for a chimney. It is comprised of three major parts: #1: Step flashing. #2: Counter flashing/Cap flashing. #3:Base flashing.
#1: Step flashing consists of a L-shaped piece of metal, or other suitable/durable material, that lies underneath roofing shingles and along the brick of your masonry chimney. Step flashing should move independently of the roof deck or chimney. Step flashing should not be fastened to both the roof deck and chimney.
#2: Counter flashing is also an L-shaped metal, or other suitable/durable material, designed to cover the step flashing below. The top is embedded into a groove or cut in masonry or imbedded the bed/head mortar joint or brickwork.
#3:Base/Cap flashing is installed at the base and head wall of the chimney.
You will read different terms and methods.

1 Like

I’ve never considered different sides as different approaches, except for when I was studying to be a pilot. When the question states different approaches I assume they mean different techniques, strategies or methods of solving the same problem. Why would they call it approaches?

Thank you for the link. I had seen that one already though and I don’t think it answers the question. Even though I think that makes more sense than different sides, I still don’t think they can be called different approaches, at least not if it is intended to be understandable by most students. I’m sure there’s a better name for that than approaches, which is “a way of dealing with something”. How about layers? Three approaches implies three different ways to do the same thing, not three parts of the same way.