What do we think of this chimney pipe?

Wondering if rusting around this chimney pipe is of a concern? It is servicing a water heater. Looks to me like something got way too hot at one point.

What about the squirrels chewing into the ridge vent? They must be raising hell in the attic.

3 Likes

I think excessive heat is a stretch, I would not go there. Needs replacement due to age, rust and corrosion. That’s my 2 cents.

5 Likes

2-10 rule and nice shadow and ground pics… :wink:

2 Likes

Was your drone able to poke it with a screwdriver?

1 Like

Don’t worry, I got up there with and physically checked it out.
Is this a usual event for a chimney pipe rusting that much?

Understand your point. I have a bad knee that goes out at any time. I could be on the ground or in that pool with just one step. Should I be up there poking with a screw driver?

1 Like

I wasn’t knocking the Drone I just asking.

Adam, exterior rust on an exhaust pipe is not unusual at all. It is moisture related. When it’s just light surface rust I recommend that they paint it. If you can poke your finger or another object through it then of course I recommend to have it replaced.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses. To me it looked like tempering of some sort which is scary for an exhaust to be getting that hot that far away.

Adam, what did you see that makes you think that the steel is getting tempered?

I wouldn’t call it a chimney pipe in your report. I would just report that rust/corrosion was observed on the ??? Vent penetration and recommend it be evaluated by blah blah blah.

1 Like

Name three things in this pic with something in common…???

3 Likes

Observation: Advanced flue corrosion.
Refer for replacement.

1 Like

It’s not uncommon at all.

4 Likes

The vent, the ridge and the tree all have a red box around them. :wink:

5 Likes

All of the red boxes have rounded corners. :grin:

3 Likes

the vent flashing is installed wrong. as the second layer of shingles should be installed under the bottom flange and over at the top of the vent flange, the tree’s are too close to the house, and the ridge shingles are damaged. could be the tree that damaged the shingle in the past, could be a pest, could be anything.

3 Likes

Everything is green.