What do you think of these trusses

Take a look at these. They also have blocking on the bottom between them.
What do you think guys

Those “braces” were either used to prop up the ceiling or the roof…
How did the ceiling look?
How did the ridge look?

No matter what, I would write it up as modified prefab trusses, recommend having a PE investigate and repair if/as needed

Agreed,
Roof trusses are an Engineered product.
Defer to Architect / Engineer qualified in framing…

Roof and ridge looked ok Minor sagging to drywall ceiling in garage. I did write it up as you said. I am just amazed like some people think we are not going to see that Oh well. thanks Guys

This looks like one of the cleaner “fixes” I’ve seen. It would be interesting to get the reasoning behind why/how people “fix” stuff.

As soon as I saw it i said to myself wow modified trusses Whats Up?

I suspect it was done to reduce any deflection that might have been going on… which is altering the truss design. Any time a truss has been altered the warranty is void REGARDLESS of bringing in an engineer (still call for one). Only the manufacturer can approve an alteration and stand behind their design.

An old Fort Pierce, FL roof system has been upgraded.

The manufacturer is long ago dead and gone on that house.

You guys need to learn to recognize conditions better. Stop being so quick to recommend an engineer or anyone else. Your customer is paying YOU, and you are telling them you can’t do the job and they have to pay someone else to finish your work.

Some smart h-o was obviously trying to make a really old house perform better and last longer. Looks like he did a very good job of it.

Engineers are rarely needed for old house roof framing repairs. An experienced framer like our member Greg Mathias knows what to do.:slight_smile:

Thanks Pete, I would not call in a PE on this. The framing looks to be in good condition and the bracing was installed to help with sag. I have made this repair several times and has always worked. I would have also installed ridge blocks but that is just me. Was there a wall directly under the vertical members they Installed? I think one way to look at this is to ask yourself: Are the trusses and repair’s performing the job they were intended too? If they are then why call them up as a defect. I would mention it in the report but not dwell on it.

I’ve built trusses in my past and agree that all truss modifications SHOULD have an engineer’s seal of approval. I’m seeing this as a modification at this point and not necessarily a repair.
That being said it looks to me like for whatever reason someone decided to add “king posts” to these trusses. Note there were not any in the original design. Could be, maybe, some hot shot HI suggested adding them. Aside from possibly not having an engineers letter this is really a pretty clean fix. I would have mentioned it but not in an alarmist fashion at all. Something like “trusses have been modified ask current owner for engineer’s letter, if no letter can be found you may wish to consult with an engineer as to the integrity of this modification”

I would not even waste my breath mentioning it in the report or verbally unless asked by customer.

Att’n: All MB users. We need more PRACTICAL input from guys like Greg who have 1st hand work experience instead of video education experience.

In my first month working on the job after college I learned more than the 4 yrs of college engineering study.

There is no substitute for education gained from O-T-J experience.

No! God No!

Red Solo Cup…

And your reasoning?

pls refer to post #9

I would be curious as to what Marcel has to say. He is the real guru around here when it comes to framing.
Pete: Gotta explain the Red solo cup… thing. I have heard the song but don’t get the analagy.

I too am an old framer and thus I know that these repairs require an engineers letter. I have dealt with many engineers concerning these repairs…you?

As I stated earlier, once a truss has been altered (which these have) then the warranty is void. Now if the inspector was sharp or curious enough to follow the load path (if there is one ~ probably a hallway wall below) and wants to reason with in himself as to why not annotate it on the report then that his liability…but for forum discussion the truss DESIGN is now altered…albeit an engineer may and probably will state that the vertical member has little to no weight on same to effect the design however that is there call.

Finally, if if an engineer check off on it, the fact that the design was altered still voids the warranty and no engineer other than the manufacturers engineer can change that issue.

regards

Jeff

Yes, M is the guru, but he is not the only guy who knows what he is doing.

http://http://ts1.mm.bing.net/videos/thumbnail.aspx?q=1466973815208&id=2b0961f999d5620e68cd7067f820fdbe&bid=Flw2K2yZU6OuRg&bn=Thumb&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dvyj2f7Cs_zI

“Red solo cup, your not just a cup. No! God No! You’re my, you’re my friend. (life long) Thank you, for being my friend.”:D:D

You are correct in saying that they do require and engineers letter for repairs. Now in saying that, Have you ever repaired them without?? On an old truss system like this I highly dought that an engineer was consulted. I have had engineers tell me old truss systems were no better then rafter systems and there is no need to have them engineer a fix fo a sag in the truss. Using normal framing techniques it is very simple to repair and move on. As for the warranty issue mentioned earlier in the thread, most truss manufactures only put a ten year warranty on their work. We used to build our own trusses on site with metal gang plates just like you see in the picture and there was no engineer to tell us how. In this case the warranty would be off.
I do agree that the more modern truss systems (70’s and above)should not be altered without the consent of the manufacture and an engineers stamp on the repairs would be paramount. :mrgreen: