What education is best for little experience?

Hello everyone.

I am a recently job-less worker due to the owner of the company I worked for becoming ill and the company closing. I have a very diverse educational background, but very little in the way of construction. I have done a little labor work in terms of remodeling and ran an office/did helper work on pool heat pumps. Beyond that, I know very little.

I am looking at getting into a new career and am trying to determine if this is even something I can do without having any prior knowledge. I love the idea of the different aspects of the job (reports, helping people, moving around on a jobsite (not being glued to a desk)).

Is the lack of knowledge something that will hold me back from being able to do this? I was unable to find any local training, and with the closest being a 2+ hour drive, it’s not really in the budget to travel and pay for accommodations for the time needed.

Would the courses here be enough (FL resident) or is there another option I should be looking at with my minimal experience and education?

Any and all responses are appreciated, even if they are that this isn’t a good option for me.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post!

Ryan, you definitely would benefit from having experience in the construction industry. Yes, the lack of knowledge will definitely hold you back. The courses at InterNACHI are the best in the world and completion should satisfy the Florida requirements. My advice is to hang in there over the next couple of months Ryan. Nick Gromicko is putting together something that will 100% benefit you. Keep checking back on this thread.

Definitely appreciate the quick reply. I knew the experience would hinder me, but is it something that would prevent me from taking the courses here? I’ve found one or two FL approved programs (in addition to this one) that supposedly require no previous knowledge/experience.

Again, thanks!

If you know anything about a "service business’ your all set.
Otherwise, your looking in all the wrong places…

If you were a salesman you would be expected to know what you sell.

Now you expect to “Inspect” someone elses work and you don’t know crap about what your looking at?!

Call me an idiot. I’m only answering your question based upon your provided information.

Now Nick can make you a true Inspector, and when you screw the pooch, he’ll buy the damn house…

This is why I am looking for -education-. I’m not going to call anyone an idiot, especially when my question may have not been clear. What it SEEMS like you’re trying to say is that if you haven’t worked in construction, you cannot learn to be an inspector, regardless of any educational options out there. If that’s the case, then so be it. I have heard claims that there are courses to teach you everything you need to know, but I thought it was best to get professionals opinions, versus someone trying to make a sale.

As far as the “service business” I ran a swimming pool heat pump business for over 5 years and learned to do the office side as well as perform a lot of the repairs on said pumps. I hope that answers that question (if it was a question).

Thanks for the reply.

You don’t need any construction experience to start.

It won’t hinder your ability to inspect a home at all.

You do need training and education though.

You must work for Nick…

That is total bull ****!

Thank you for the reply. Really unsure what to think at this point…

Regardless of your opinion, this seems a pretty unprofessional reply. I’m sorry you find my inquiry offensive. I am truly trying to sort out the information I was given (as my previous posts that have not been approved yet) that courses exist for those trying to get a start in the business with no experience.

Sorry my replies are taking so long, but they require moderation and approval.

And I certainly did not mean to start some sort of issue here. Seems like I need to look elsewhere.

Appreciate everyone’s input.

David’s just being David

There isn’t anywhere else to go. This is place you need to be if you want the proper training, education, and advice even if some of it is harsh.

I really appreciate your replies. Obviously want the best education possible, but I also don’t want to get into something that I don’t have the prerequisites for, which is what I was trying to ascertain.

Thanks.

Ryan, what David and I are telling you is that we agree with Juan and Chris, on this is the place for education and tons of benefits. You wanted to know if the lack of knowledge will hurt you. The answer is yes. You can have all the book smarts in the world, and you can get that here. The thing is that you have to put that knowledge from books to hands on.

Take a course on exterior and then drive by looking at the neighborhood. Then get out and walk the property noting what you found on the outside of the house.

Can you walk a roof? According to our Standards of practice, you don’t have too but most of us do. Can you get down and dirty and crawl around under a house? You need to be able to put that book knowledge into hands on experience.

You literally can do as Juan says and be one of us. I myself am wanting to be back out there doing what I love, inspecting houses. It’s both fun and a challenge. I’m in a similar situation right now but at least I’m earning a living. I’m doing traffic control all over the state of North Carolina at $10.25 an hour, working around 60 hours a week. I’m reading this message board daily for at least an hour, to keep me from getting rusty. Unfortunately, things out of my control took me from Virginia to North Carolina. I have to get licensed down here before I can legally perform a home inspection (trust me man, I’ve tried everything). On my days off, I work some type of construction job. That’s all I’m trying to say Bro.

With your experience in pools, you have a big advantage. Try it man and get your education, apply hands on to what you’ve learned and you won’t be disappointed. Eighteen years and I am just as exited now as I was back in 1996. I’m out in this heat 10+ hours a day and I’m exhausted. I hope that this makes sense.

I’ll pray for you.

The thing that gets me, is you stated that you were without a job. Bro, this business can be very rewarding but it takes money to make it. If you have a family to take care of and I’m sure that you do, find a job. Then keep posting here and don’t give up. If I’m able to, I’ll help you anyway that I can.

I just prayed for you.

I definitely appreciate the replies and insight. The money is not an issue. I am in a unique situation where I have the time and opportunity to get back into school.

As to your previous post. Yes, I definitely can see your point on education to real world application, and how the lack of experience can be a big hindrance. I guess the follow-up to that, is that something that can be overcome by educational courses. I would much prefer to take live courses that have practical applications, but I have not found any, anywhere near me. Even though I have the money and time for classes, I still have a strict budget so I can actually take advantage of the situation.

Ultimately I don’t want to waste my time or anyone else’s (or money) in the pursuit of something that is out of reach for someone with my background.

Regardless of the outcome, I absolutely appreciate your answers.

Best advice right there, finding nachi and the message board are the great first steps. Like all else in life there is good and bad here. Take it all in and make your own decision. Good luck

I would say your first lesson is to go gator hunting in La.
You need some very thick skin in this business.

Not just us. “Everybody” wants a piece of your *** when your a Homi Inspector!

Can’t deal with me, you have a “real” problem in the real world.

As most here know, I have no inclination to make you feel warm and fuzzy with any of your decisions…

I won’t blow smoke up your ***.
Take it or leave it.

So long as you don’t pull a John M. “Vendor” cash cow without a clue, we are brothers…

Ryan, David A is correct. You really do need thick skin to come on the mb at all. David can be a hard**s, but is very knowledgeable and most of his posts and replies are extremely helpful, but he won’t sugar coat to make you feel good. That’s just David.

You don’t need construction experience, but without it, you’re starting an uphill battle. You should probably find a local HI to let you tag along for a while. It is impossible to get too much training in this business, and NACHI is the best source, hands down.

Inspecting homes is about 30% of what it takes to make it. Marketing, website design, and your own demeanor play huge roles. Without them you will get zero experience inspecting.

My state required training to become certified, and only had two different places, both 2 hours away. Even with 25 years construction experience, I learned a lot from the training, and continue to learn from the mb and NACHI courses.

Good luck!

when you start home inspections you will have a lot of free time, it takes a while before that phone starts ringing. use that time to hang around home construction sites. take a job as a laborer, they see everything, ask the tradesmen why they do what they do. they love to talk to someone who really wants to know. really! If you don’t want or can’t find a laborer job volunteer for habitat for humanity. Even if you work for no pay you will get the best education for free.