What in the world is this?

Originally Posted By: mmolus
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Being a relatively new inspector there are many things that I have yet to see. Here is an example of one of them.

[ Image: Dryer vent/Clay pot ]

The dryer vent blows into this area, after a good rain it can fill up with water, and has nowhere to go because there is no drain. The interior is made of clay, What in the world is this called? How would I spell it out in a report? Anybody seen this before? Shouldn't there be a drain?

Thanks,

Matt Molus
411 Property Inspections

Originally Posted By: Craig Shap

Did you take a picture of that panned back off the object? Perhaps that could give a person another perspective.

If your not sure how to report this, is there a possibilty that you can confront the home owner?

Does the home have a basement? My first thought is that it could be a resovour for a sump pump...The picture does not show depth. Are those copper lines leading into this vent....Also are you sure the dryer hose is attached to this vent? ![eusa_doh.gif](upload://has2a0g32D0AAlDjAwVcrg3HnhX.gif)

--
CAS Atl GA.
The Hometeam Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Well, I was going to look at it and see if I could help, but the photo is way to big for a dial up user.

When you get it resized under 100K, let me know. I'll look.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

mmolus wrote:
What in the world is this called? How would I spell it out in a report? Anybody seen this before? Shouldn't there be a drain?

It's called a rig job. It appears like the dyer vent discharges below grade with the potential for water intrusion into the structure. Never seen it before. A drain perhaps, but it shouldn't have been built that way in the first place.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

jonofrey wrote:

It's called a rig job.

I think there's another name for it.....but I call it Southern Engineering! ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

We southerners take exception to that. Around here we call it Snowbird Engineering.

Originally Posted By: psabados

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/Small.jpg ]

Paul

Thanks Paul for putting up a smaller file for people to see. I guess I wasn’t thinking when I posted that very large file/picture.

BTW, This is a picture from my own house and all the neighbors houses look the same. I know it looks like a rig job but I think that the builder (who will remain unnamed) must have installed it. I just wish I knew what it is.

Hope someone figures this one out. The suspense is killing me.

PERSPECTIVE: This picture was taken looking straight down on the subject. In the left hand side of the picture is the sidewalk and the right side is the stucco siding of the house. The two black wires are cable television cables.

Thanks

Matthew Molus
411 Property Inspections, LLC

Originally Posted By: ssmith3

Question??

Can the concrete be lifted up to expose more of what is under there??

It appears that there are bricks supporting the concrete. Am I correct in assuming that??

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

The concrete cannot be lifted to expose it.

From what i can see of it, it does appear that the bricks are supporting the concrete. But I don't think the whole walkway is supported by brick. The walkway is in the sideyard of the house and extends some 25+ feet. That would be a lot of brick to cover with UGLY concrete.

Matt, Can you stick a hand mirror down there and look back under the concrete??

May-b a couple of wide shots and a different angle or 2 might help.

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Scott, I will take a few additional photo’s of the subject and the surrounding area, and post them as soon as I can, but there is NO WAY to look under the concrete. What you are looking at is a big clay type pot. So the walls of the pot go right up to the underside edge of the concrete.

Originally Posted By: Craig Shap

If the owner is the orginal buyer then have you approached the owner regarding the subject in question? Perhaps they can shed some light on the subject…At this point it is not a good idea to speculate what it is and the function, it is appropriate to identify what is visible. Of course you would rather be the smart person to give the buyer the best resonable appropriate answer to ease there concern on identifying rather than speculating.

Good Luck!

--
CAS Atl GA.
The Hometeam Inspection Service

mmolus wrote:
BTW, This is a picture from my own house and all the neighbors houses look the same. I know it looks like a rig job but I think that the builder (who will remain unnamed) must have installed it. I just wish I knew what it is.

Are you the orginal owner??

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Scott,

No I am not the original owner. The original owners took off to Taiwan in 1995 when I bought the house.

But as I've said the neighbors house's look the same and I have check three so far. So it appears to be something the builder has done.

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Does this house have basement and the dryer in it?

If so could this just be a well to vent the dryer

Larry,

There is NO basement the house is slab on grade. Built in 1985

Originally Posted By: fmagdefrau

kmcmahon wrote:
jonofrey wrote:

It's called a rig job.

I think there's another name for it.....but I call it Southern Engineering! ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Why Southern Engineering ?

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth

Has anyone seen those plastic boxes that are supposed to catch dryer lint? They hook up to the dryer vent hose, and the box is filled with water. They are used where there is no way to run the vent outside. The water is supposed to catch the lint, as least that’s the theory. I don’t know if they work or not, but I’m wondering if that was the idea behind this contraption. Maybe the sink is designed to be filled with water so the lint won’t blow all over the place. I sure wouldn’t want to clean up the mess, though! icon_rolleyes.gif