What is this all about??

I haven’t seen nothing like this?? Anyone tell me what it is???

Daniel McCullough

IMG_0543.JPG

Paul; I like that one. :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I bet you it is a new inovative design for wind uplift or hurrican forced wind rotation deterent design that we have not yet seen. It is still on the design mode and this must be the proto-type. ha. ha.

P.S. If you do find out, let me know. This is hilarious.

Marcel :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :cool:

Un-cool…

Those are uninformed attempts at a purlin system, the purpose of which is to help support sagging/overspanned rafters. They were obviously installed by someone who didn’t really know what he was doing.

Properly built, the horizontals (2x6 or 2x8) would have split the rafter span in half as closely as possible without creating a situation in which the braces lie at too steep an angle. The brace angle should be fairly perpendicular to the pitch of the roof, but there’s some leeway there.
The bottoms of the braces should bear on the top of a wall, not on boards nailed accross the tops of the ceiling joists. Over time, that can make the ceiling sag. The braces are offset in the photo instead of all being in a line and that’s probably why. They probably are resting on walls.

I’d call any sagging in the roof or rafters and describe the work as having been performed by persons who didn’t appear to have been familiar with modern building practices. Any competent contractor/carpenter could correct this.
-Kent

This is a classic example of where one would install knee walls.
The collar ties at 1/3 the span would have helped a great deal. This whole deal is just wrong.
Larry

This homeowner special or local down the street contractor will by no means make it to the history books for a patented design of roof framing support or structural design.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

He could certainly be up for a creativity award though.:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

[attach]3693[/attach]