What kind of gloves are appropriate for performing residential electrical inspections

Kenton,
I would suggest if you want to educate those starting, you should considered calling someone back when they leave you a message.

I like people who call me back personally.

You always notify people publicly on the message boards when they miss a message during the holidays? You need to learn to exercise something called TACT.

You know, I try not to miss calls but occasionally it happens. If I miss someone’s call they’re free to try me more than once.

1 Like

As a receiver of your calls, I understand his not desiring to return your call!!! :mrgreen::wink:

Well…dont trust everything you read Mr. Shepard…lol

I don’t get that. Voltage detectors are plastic anyway so it shouldn’t make any difference whether I’m grounded or not.

A good analogy is water movement through a hose or pipe. Picture the voltage as the pressure driving the water through the system pipes and the volume of water as the current/electron flow.

Normal for house water pressures is 40-70 psi or so while for water jet materials cutting, the water pressure goes from 30,000 to 90,000 psi. A stream of water at 60 psi will not damage your hand while the high psi water jet will cut it off.

The voltage rating for the gloves gives the resistance designed/built into the glove that will prevent that voltage from driving current through the glove and producing a current flow/shock for the person wearing the glove.

In the vast majority of homes, the highest voltage would be 240V unless the house is large and fed with 3 phase power. The 500 volt gloves should be adequate for a **home **inspector.

I’ve used them for years on wooden ladders and they all seem to work as designed.

Did you ever get any results on the ladder? I always used them on cables or conductors. :mrgreen:

These are great for using a shovel or pulling a fish tape but aren’t worth a dime when working on something that is energized.

I’ve actually found the opposite problem. I picked up a reading, while I was wearing sneakers, in a barn wall that obviously had no wiring at all in it. I finally figured out that it was on the downwind side of the structure in a very windy area, the wind tumbled and I was picking up static electricity.

Of course not…they’re not rated for energized work. Only for tool and material handling.

Jeff