What to do when a loan company asks for a copy of the report

Originally Posted By: Chuck McCann
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just completed a home inspection yesterday, and today I get a phone call form a loan company asking how it went? I was not hired by them, but by there clients the home buyers. I did not give them any info, even when they asked for a copy. I just took there direct line number and said I would get back to them…Thx for any advice

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Pass the information to your clients and let them handle it.

If the loan company calls back, tell them that you work on a confidential basis for your client and that they need to get any information they need direct from your client, not from you.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Thanks thats what i figured and I am a NACHI member. I figured I worked for my clients and if Loan Giant wants a Home inspection report they can hire me to do another one…Thanks again Chuck McCann

Originally Posted By: jpope

Chuck,

In the NACHI Home Inspection Agreement, item 4 allows for discussion of findings with "interested parties." However, to my knowledge, there would never be a case where you could LEGALLY give a copy of the report to any one other than the client without first obtaining the clients permission. After all, the report is the PROPERTY of the client.

The Agreement I use specifies that only the CLIENT may supply a copy of the report to other parties - and goes on to release me of any third party liability as a result. Unfortunately my insurance carrier won't allow me to use the NACHI Agreement "as is." I use a contract designed for use in California and prepared by CA Affiliates.

Read and understand the Agreement you use. If you don't use one ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) , consider the NACHI Agreement. It's simple, concise and can help you stay out of trouble in these types of situations.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

NACHI COE states that you cant disclose the contents of the report without the client’s expressed written consent. I agree with Erby’s advice. Hand it off to your client, and let them handle it…

Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: jpope

Joe,

You are correct - the NACHI COE states that you can't disclose the contents of the report without the client's expressed written consent.

This express written consent is given when the client signs the NACHI Home Inspection Agreement. Is it not?

I also agree to handing it off to the client. I was simply giving some additional considerations I felt might be helpful.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Thanks for your advice, I use The Home Guide report system, and pre inspection agreement. After more careful reading I found what I needed to know. Thanks again, I started in home inspection about a month ago and this was my fourth one… I got training at Inspection Depot…by Ken Hoyt and Michael Rowan…just a little info Thx again