what were they thinking?

Originally Posted By: jmichalski
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This was installed by a contractor who left his sticker on the unit…

I understand that it ties int the unit at a point just below the switch, but did no one condiser that water and electric probably dont mix?

What is the pump all about anyway?
![](upload://17R37RDHMVOb6RfFr2r0jkef4PM.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: cmccann

That pump is for condensation from the A/C. Usally installed when the water needs to travel futher then a typical gravity drain will take it.

NACHI MAB!

yeah, I figured it was for the condensation, but it just seems like a damn poor design.

BTW, the tubing runs about 100 feet to the sump pump and is loaded with mold....

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
What is the pump all about anyway?

That?s a condensation pump that is utilized for collecting and removing condensation from air conditioning systems, and 90+ condensing furnaces. When the pump reservoir fills to a certain point, the pump kicks on and pushes the condensation to a drainage point.

Here's a similar close-up...
![](upload://96NA7D3MDCRoa70pvrUtZvekeGB.jpeg)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Thanks again for the info DAvid. You’r eright, the condensation actually percolates up from the vent, splashing the box. Not good.

I hate to ask the questions and admit ignorance, but I'lll never learn if I don't. Now I know, thanks for the Continuing Education!!

Quote:
the condensation actually percolates up from the vent, splashing the box.

If you could actually see the water percolating inside that vent, then you have a problem. That means that the pump is inoperative. Did you check the pump?

I usually shake the reservoir back and forth until the pump kicks on. If it doesn't kick on at all, I pour water into the vent hole (in question), in order to fill the reservoir. I want to hear the pump kick on.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Actually, I think the pump triggered and at that point, the water perolated up at the vent. Could it be that the mold growing in the tubing was preventing the pump from pushing th ewater through and backwashing?

The mold was visible for at least the first 20 feet of tubing (the house has been vacant for about 4 months.) Maybe during that time the mold became significant enough to choke the tubing shut?

That doesn?t sound right. You should have no percolation at that vent whatsoever.

Recommend evaluation and cleaning of condensation pump and line by a HVAC tech.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Thanks, DAvid. I already wrote it up for eval since the electric box was clearly rusted and wet. I will add the cleaning and eval of the pump to the wording.

Originally Posted By: scott davis

There should be a trap on the A/C coil this will eliminate the water from splashing out of the vent tube. Except for the missing trap this is a very clean installation. Another way to eliminate the problem is to run two separate pipes into cond. pump.

I am a HVAC professional.

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Maybe they thought it be venting the trap if that manufacture requires it. If that is the case they just need to extend the riser so droplets don’t splash out. But then again if the inducer motor is blowing the flue gases thru the factory trap it must not working properly Hmm. I guess that would require further evaluation by professional.