What would you say?

Inspected an 80 year old house yesterday with Dual Carrier HE furnaces (2006). The intake and exhaust go to the exterior directly below a window. Is there any problem with HE that would make this improper? The photo shows the bottom of the window, just above the pipes.

On way out ,I want to say a cat four exhaust needs to be 18 inches from.
Hope thats right.

IMO yes there is a problem. The install manuals should tell you distance requirements. I would refer to the manual first by finding it online. However, keep in mind these vents are pushing out carbon monixide. It is common to vent outside the walls however I recommend going to the roof. Nevertheless venting right under a window is plain stupid to me especially on a drafty older home.

Looks OK to me. Forced or induced vent requires a one foot clearance from windows. However, this might be overridden by the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Thanks, unfortunately the only manual I can find on-line is the owners manual, and it doesn’t address clearances. Apparently the only people to get the installation manuals are the installers. If anyone has a link or a resource I would sure appreciate it.

BTW, it’s a Carrier Infinity 96 Model#58MVB100-20

Is that an operable window? With the sill so low, and apparently large, could that be a fixed window?

Here’s another photo of the window. The vents are behind and to the right of the AC units. Directly beneath the double window to the right. BTW, didn’t measure it, but they are probably about 18 inches from the bottom of the window.

I would recommend they keep a CO detector in that room.

Mark let the experts tell you. Post this over on hvac-talk.com! Great MB.

I questioned a similar setup last Spring. I don’t remember the brand, but while I continued with my inspection, my Client went to his computer, found the instructions online, and showed me that everything was okay. I love it when Clients work with me on this stuff – LOL. With HE, though, check those manufacturer installation instructions. Get an HVAC company or two as Power Partners.

I did go online, but the installation instructions weren’t available, only the owners manual. Apparently Carrier reserves the installation instructions for installers.

Do you have a model name or a model number? I might have a Carrier resource if you have either one of those.

Carrier Infinity 96 Model#58MVB100-20

He posted it up top.

Let’s put this to bed.

Below is the diagram I use when this issue comes up.
It’s from a Goodman 95% series install guide.

Some important terms:

Direct vent - all combustion air is supplied from out side the building envelope(i.e. 2 pipes to the exterior)

Non Direct vent - Combustion air is taken from within the building envelope (1 pipe system to the exterior)

Note for Canadians:

In Canada, venting must conform to the requirements of the current
CAN/CSA-B149 Installation Code. Use only CSA listed two or three
inch diameter PVC or ABS pipe, solvent cement, and fittings throughout.
Carefully follow the pipe manufacturers’ instructions for cutting,
cleaning, and solvent cementing PVC and/or ABS.
The vent can be run through an existing unused chimney provided
the space between the vent pipe and the chimney is insulated and
closed with a weather-tight, corrosion-resistant flashing.

There you go Mark. Diagram shows it all. However with the house being 80 yrs old you can be rest assured it’s not air tight and I would HIGHLY recommend a CO detector be installed in that room.

I always recommend CO detectors in homes without them.

In fact they are now required in Minnesota even on used construction.

Another option would be to make the window in question non-operable by securing it from opening.

I would also label it as “not to be opened” but that’s just me.:wink:

As a snyde crack from the peanut gallery. How may people open their windows when operating the furnace…LOL;-):D:D:D

Besides, CO is 40% heavier than air anyway, and the vents are below the window…LOL

CO is not the only issue.:shock:

Enjoy your peanuts.:cool:

I know this is off track, but your title made me think of this. Do you think Im a child of the 90’s?

Here you go, Mark:

http://www.russel-ray.com/stuff/misc/58mvb-1si.pdf

See page 32 for diagram and instructions. That’s the only page I looked at since that’s the page my source told me to tell you to look at.

I’ll leave in on my web site through December 31, 2008.