Whats best?

Originally Posted By: stephen walker
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What is better. I have completed my inspector training. Should I try and find a company to work for to build my skills? If so are there big firms to do such a thing in Atlanta? Or should I ask seasoned inspectors to ride with them and mentor me? I want to do the best thing for my business and the client. I will of course continue to educate myself. I am already setting up inspections with friends and family to hone my skills and get used to the procedure. What’s best?

Semper Fi
Steve

Originally Posted By: jmurray

stephen walker wrote:
What is better. I have completed my inspector training. Should I try and find a company to work for to build my skills? If so are there big firms to do such a thing in Atlanta? Or should I ask seasoned inspectors to ride with them and mentor me? I want to do the best thing for my business and the client. I will of course continue to educate myself. I am already setting up inspections with friends and family to hone my skills and get used to the procedure. What's best?

Semper Fi
Steve

I can't tell what your level of training or past experience is but, i will say this.
If you start out by yourself you will need either a understanding and $upportive wife, a full time job, $40,000+/- for first year's business and living expenses or a combo of any.
I am not familiar with what the "big firms" in Atlanta promise but, make sure you are able to support your living expenses and save $10,000 a year for future business expenses. You may want to account for future living expenses as well depending on your situation!

--
"A little less conversation and a little more action"!

Originally Posted By: rwashington

We need more specifics about your living expenses and your living situation. Married (working spouse), single living with parents, enormous savings? Those kind of things. we are all doing this differently.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Well lets see.

married
some savings (3-5k)
full time job (I hate!!!)
own my own home
about 4 years total framing experience
4 years as operations manager of cabinet shop (mostly instalation)
currently a network analyst with bellsouth

Just completed 6 day home inspection class
have done 2 inspections (not paid)

I live in Gwinnett Co. Georgia. and have the knowledge and hunger to get started but dont know where to begin.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

It takes the average home inspector 12 to 18 months to get going and making a decent living, and even then there can be slow times depending on outside circumstances (like hurricanes). This is true both times I have started this business, and both times I have been broke for the first year or so. After that, the money is good if you are.

Six days of training does not a home inspector make. Do a search on the web site here and find some inspectors 50 miles or so from where you will be doing business, and see if they will give you a ride along. Hopefully you can find someone experienced who can shed light on what it takes to get going in your particular market place.

Oh, and by the way, Join NACHI.

Good Luck!

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

After 6 months, I’m starting to see the bill collectors stop snapping at my heals. That said, we’re coming into the real slow time up here and it’s getting scary.

It would have been nice to have a FT job to fall back on while I started the business, but didn’t. Made just enough to keep the lights on and nothing else. This month work has doubled, but like I said, this is the rush before winter sets in.

I have no doubts next year will be much better for me, but getting thru the long winter has me real nervous.

Thank god most of my dues/memberships/ads don’t come due until next spring when work picks up or I’d be screwed.

Hard to tell you what you should do...would I do anything different? I would have wished I had a larger bank account to fall back on, and I wish I had at least a PT job on the side.

Ride alongs? Not a bad idea...I felt I had enough experience and education to do a good job without doing that(24 years) from the start. I still don't know everything and never will. Things perplex me on every job and it's a good thing this board is here cause the guys can usually help you out if you have trouble.

Good luck and Join NACHI...best investment I made.

Kevin

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Thanks, Yes joining Nachi is high on the list of things to do. I have just passed the test a few days ago. I think ride alongs are a great thing and will be looking for some soon. I hope I did not come across as knowing alot because I took a class, that was not my intention. I know that I am far from being a good inspector but I try to read alot and as alot of questions.

This board is great and the few people I have talked to have been helpful.
Steve

PS. anyone in 50 miles from Duluth Ga. wanna take me on a ride along. Ill buy breakfast.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
I hope I did not come across as knowing alot because I took a class, that was not my intention

You didn't. We do get people here sometimes that think they know it all because of their class and I just wanted to caution you. After 10 years I'm still learning new things, and probably some things I should have known also!

Originally Posted By: ttravis

I hope you can find a veteran inspector to ride along with, I think that may be the best way to learn. But it may be difficult to get an established HI to give you the opportunity. I’ve tried a couple time but got no takers. Good luck.