What's the best camera

That’s because it was addressed here just two weeks ago:

1 Like

I use the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra camera. I have a Canon SX620HS as well.

4 Likes

My iPhone battery won’t make a full inspection… I ultimately went with a Kodak PIXPRO 401 camera for $150 as it is a 20mp with a 65x OPTICAL zoom - far superior to my iPhone, which is a 12mp with a 5x Digital zoom.

I would love to be able to use a tablet to do it all, BUT… I value my client privacy more than my own convenience, and if you think that’s not an issue - search for issues with Porch selling/sharing client data.

I also believe that delivering the report on-site is a huge mistake! (Realtors love it because you invariably miss stuff) I’ve found more than one thing I’ve missed in person during an inspection by looking over the hi-resolution photos that I took while completing the report AFTER the inspection, in the office, as I move through the photos. Of course, I would rather catch these misses DURING the inspection, but we are only human after all and to declare that you don’t miss things or won’t miss things is just not being honest, with anyone, including yourself.

I’m personally not even going to entertain the tablet/instant-report option at this point as much as I’d like to - for the very reasons above. I’m sure there are more that influenced that decision, but not on my “radar” at this moment.

Steve, at one time I tried to use a tablet/ipad. It was cumbersome for me and I would lay it down and then forget where I laid it!

2 Likes

There is no BEST. It all boils down to personal preference and process. You will need to know what procedure you are going to use to write your reports. Many swear by a phone written report and take their pictures with the phone for immediate insertion. Some of us, myself included, just take pictures as we go through the home. Afterwards the pictures (each representing a defect or location) go into the report back at the office.

So you’ve decided to do everything with your phone. You just used your phones GPS to get you to the inspection, make sure you have a battery back up pack. Do you use a lanyard of some type or risk dropping it off the roof. When the phone rings do you answer it and lose your place in the report or do you let it go to voicemail (most calls will not leave a message). How about you use a separate phone altogether. In that case you might as well just use a camera.

A dedicated tool always works better than a universal tool that tries to do everything.

4 Likes

I have a Tile attached to the back of my tablet. When I can’t remember where I left it, I ping it from my phone and reverse my way back through the house until I hear it ringing!

2 Likes

I did the same thing with a steno pad. I just ditched the writing on site part and just take photos.

I think the big attraction to a phone or tablet app is that inspectors are afraid they’ll miss something (the app tells you when all sections are completed). After a few years of doing it with just pictures I don’t have a problem missing anything. It’s like anything else, the more you do it the easier it gets.

4 Likes
1 Like

Nice portable backup camera, Junior.
I have the Canon SX420 IS. It fits into my rigid tool carry bag unnoticed.
Reason I purchased this particular model, supper zoom - 42x Optical Zoom (24–1008mm). I love getting close to or being able to edit a clean image without pixilation.
Lighting is a learning curve. Aperture exposure compensation settings. Once you have that down, your photos are crisp and clear.

1 Like

I use my iPhone protected in a water-tight Otter Box Defender phone case as my primary with a Canon Powershot as backup. The advantage of using the phone is that my reporting software also runs on the phone and I can log a deficiency with attached photo or video is one simple step. The concern I and others have with using the phone as camera is draining the battery. A long inspection with hundreds of photos can use 1/2 to 3/4 of a full charge (for me). So, I also have an 13,000 mAh Anker Powercore portable charger and charging cable on hand, just in case I run out of juice.

2 Likes

That is a lot of energy consumption. I use a large scale Sony point and shoot and use up a fully charged battery with about >< 400 high definition large image files. The flash used for about 100 images.
Great idea to use a portable charger, Brian.
Do or can you zoom in on objects from far away? If so, what would be the optical zoom equivalence?

Same here Bob.

5 Likes

On the phone it is a digital zoom, so not the best. The Canon has a limited optical zoom, somewhat useful. One of the best ways to ensure you can see detail is to use a powerful flashlight. I purchased one of these portable 2,000 lumen rechargeable work lights (link below) for another purpose and happened to have one in my truck. One day my 1,000 lumen Nebo flashlight ran out of juice during an attic inspection, so I grabbed the portable work light from the truck. Now it is my absolute goto light for all attics and crawlspace inspections - you can take bright, excellent pictures of objects 20ft away.

1 Like

In the military (USMC), I also served later as a contractor in the US Navy and US Air Forces, the rule of thumb is if you don’t have a backup to the backup then you don’t have anything! Which basically means you need 3 of everything to ensure you always have that tool, etc when it is needed. They don’t all have to be the same identical “backup” item, but they all need to be capable of performing the function for which they are intended/used.

That said, I’d rather spend $300 on TWO cameras (I’m now using the Kodak PIXPRO 405, even though I have two Nikons) because then if I drop one (from a ladder at the roof for instance), I still have one in the case ready to go… and my iPhone becomes my “oh shit” backup to the backup. In the unlikely event I destroyed/damaged both cameras - I’m only out $300 and at least that can be paid for by my inspection fee for that job.

I already have my IR, not the top of the line, but it is a FLIR, and I will buy another, better one later and then the one I have now will become the backup.

My methodology is not for everyone, but it works well for me…
Thank You Uncle Sam!
(probably one of the few good/useful things I did learn in my time serving in our government)

1 Like

Yeah, I remember when I was new and I thought I needed a backup to the backup for everything.

But 5,000+ inspections later, eh, I’ve learned a phone in an otter box case has never failed me or anyone on my team.