What's the best camera

I’m new to the industry. Shopping around for a camera has proved to be a little overwhelming. I’m looking to buy what most inspectors use. If y’all could help me out it would be appreciated. Thanks.

I like thin cameras that slip into a pouch or shirt pocket.

One low cost introductory camera I used for years is the Sony Cybershot DSC-W830 ($120). Not much zoom but affordable. I am pretty hard on cameras so I typically replace them a few times a year.

Then I got addicted to zoom and went with the Cannon Power Shot SX620 HS ($400-$500). Great camera but the flash fails very quickly. I do not really need a flash so I use this it regardless.
(I do not need a flash because I wear a white shirt. I shine my flashlight towards my shirt which reflects and illuminates the area).

My recommendation, always have two and several back-up batteries.

4 Likes

Thanks man!

1 Like

Btw, Pawn shops are a good source for cheap or back-up cameras. I’ll offer 20% of the price and buy a few. Pay close attention to how the batteries are charged, because they seldom come with the accessories. Recently I picked up a couple waterproof cameras for less than $50. Very nice for those rainy days. Best of luck.

1 Like

Good lens. ZEISS. Been using Sony cameras for years. Sony DSC-H400.

1 Like

Sony Cybershot DSC-W830, great minds think a like, thats the exact one that I use, been using

2 Likes

I use a Nikon Coolpix S-4. It is a 2005 model camera with 6 megapixels and 10x optical zoom. You can buy cameras with much higher resolution but you will be displaying on a computer monitor regardless of how you deliver your reports (as web page or pdf). A high resolution picture is wasted on a low resolution device (computer screen) plus low resolution pictures are easier to store (less space) and send (email). Nikon Coolpix P100 with 26x optical for a backup camera. Bought my cameras on E-bay, good second hand equipment if your careful.

1 Like

Update, apparently this camera has shot up in price.

Joshua,
I use the Sony Cybershot also. I picked up my last 2 on ebay. Always have at least 1 spare camera with you. I carry 3 including my phone.
Good luck with your business!

1 Like

In theory, I do also…
But…
In reality, the camera rarely see’s time in a pocket.
My camera is an extension of my hand.
I look, I see, I (point, rarely aim), I click, I move-on.
I only ever set it down when I need both hands for a task. (Panel covers, HVAC access, etc).

Stop into an actual camera store and get a feel for any camera that interests you.
Make sure it feels ‘right’ with all commonly used features within easy ‘reach’.
You shouldn’t have to ‘search’ for what you need/want at a moments notice.
Also, your needs will likely change over time, as well as current camera offerings, even within the same camera model series the camera company decides you don’t need anymore!

I have been using Panasonic Lumix models for many years, and they have done me very well.
I have had to step-up in model numbers 4 times over the years, with minor changes in the camera itself. The last one I purchased now goes mostly unused as it’s a drastic change from what I have become accustomed to over the years. Still a good camera, just doesn’t fit with my needs for an everyday inspection camera. It is now the most expensive back-up camera I have ever owned.

I am currently using a Nikon Coolpix A900 that I purchased from a Pawn shop for a backup camera. I was surprised at how much I would like it. Enough that I would recommend it to others.
Note: I always purchase and carry spare batteries for all cameras, as I don’t hesitate taking additional photos as I see fit. I can always delete pics, but I can’t produce any missing from thin air!!

4 Likes

Samsung S-21 Ultra is my main camera and I also carry a Panasonic DC-ZS70 for certain shots.

99% of the pictures I take are with my phone, which are inserted right into my report software, then after I download from the cloud back at the office I can add arrows, and captions if I want.

2 Likes

100%

Save for IR, roof cam, or sewer videos.

There is no reason to carry an actual camera.

2 Likes

LOL!

9 Likes

I’m sure it was back in the days when only paper reports were available, and a lot of two sided Scotch tape… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This is a great camera…

OLYMPUS Tough TG-6 Waterproof Camera, Red https://a.co/d/dLq1kVE

2 Likes

Shirts, or cameras? :smile:
If you wear white, I’m sure you have backups too!

1 Like

Mine is silver. It must be 10 years old by now. Probably used it on 2-3000 inspections.

Interesting to see NOT ONE comment for or against the use of a phone camera, ie. IPhone, nor an iPad/tablet typical of running portable software to capture narrative prompts. Are mobile tablets and phone cameras not suitable? What are consensus for advantages/disadvantages?

1 Like

The iphone takes great pictures and I use it as one of my back-up cameras and to take specific close-ups. However, it is subject to dust, moisture and other damage. I keep my camera around my neck and it fits in my shirt pocket. It it a lot cheaper than my phone!

1 Like

This is my 4th year and I still use nothing but my phone or tablet for photos videos and reports. Then transfer everything to a thumb drive for storage and or finish up reporting on a PC if needed. The photos on my phone are HD at a minimum and far superior to my best camera. Everyone has their favorite procedure but I happen to like this way the best so far.

1 Like