Where would you expect to find deficiencies on this roof?

Aside from the fact that it’s interesting and a little amusing, where would you expect to find deficiencies on this roof.

1 Like

Due to the steep angles and odd shapes of both protrusions/turret, I would expect that the sealing strips on the shingles would not have bonded. I would suggest these be hand sealed. I would also closely inspect the flashing against the chimney. This is a difficult area to properly flash due to the odd roof angles/curves. Though not visible in this photo, the flashing behind both protrusions could be a potential defect .

2 Likes

It’s hideous.

Aside from that:

• The top of the dome where the shingles don’t have adequate slope;
  • The back side of the turret where it interfaces with the sloped roof and may form a dead valley;
  • The interface between the turret and the large chimney on the right where there are odd angles and possibly no/negative slope;
  • The flashing installed outside of the stucco on the right side chimney;
  • Shingles at the waistline of the dome where the slope is steep and actually past 90°;
  • The pointy peak of the dormer that appears to be capped with folded shingle material;
  • Metal coping at the top of the chimneys that doesn’t have an edge flange outside the stucco or drip edge;
  • Those horrendous faux lintels of stucco like material on the first floor windows (not roof though)…
3 Likes

At the dome and the spire, both of which should have been covered in metal not asphalt shingles.

1 Like

To go back to the original question.
Anywhere rain snow sleet or any of that stuff can hit it. Look for it there.

1 Like

First place I would check would be the architect.

The short answer; Everywhere you look.

I wish now I’d knocked on the door and asked them if they’d had any leaks.

Chuck detailed things, BUT Marcel said it short and sweet