Which format do you operate under?

Reference Post #505

LOL - I’m in with the Burkeson method.

I know as a consumer, I despise having my information sold, traded or otherwise commoditized for third party exploitation by marketeers. I figure that I owe it to my clients to treat their information the same confidential manner in which I would want mine to be treated. I treat their information like I treat my reputation. They are are too important and valuable to be sold or traded.

Organizations like InterNACHI and Nick Gromicko have aided the home inspection profession by insuring home inspectors conform their business practices to a fairly strict Code of Ethics.

This philosophy has created an environment where trust between the homebuyer and the home inspector could and has flourished. I am very grateful to have been an instant recipient of this trust by adopting this established doctrine through my association with InterNACHI.

My clients hire me to be their eyes & ears in regards to the current condition of the home they are attempting to purchase, and to report deficiencies which may impinge on the safety, livability and value of that property to the extant that they may make a financial decision. It is a responsibility I don’t take lightly.

That being said… I would never tempt my clients into breaking the trust between us by trading their personal information for baubles of undetermined value. I am their advocate, they did not hire me to negotiate the sale of their personal data to so-called third party service providers, I will never ask them if they want to opt-in. Furthermore, there are no check boxes or places to initial on my contract. To me the act of asking for permission to distribute their personal information is an insult which diminishes the confidence which has been given.

In conclusion, I believe selling third party service providers access to confidential client information will damage the sacred trust many of us have benefited from and help to destroy our profession. My clients can rest assured that I would never give, sell or barter away their confidential information, ever, you have my word.

Very well stated Joe! Thanks.

Organizations like InterNACHI and Nick Gromicko have aided the home inspection profession by insuring home inspectors conform their business practices to a fairly strict Code of Ethics.

This philosophy has created an environment where trust between the homebuyer and the home inspector has flourished. Home inspectors in general are well trusted by the public, I am very grateful to have been an instant recipient of this trust by adopting this established doctrine through my association with InterNACHI.

My clients hire me to be their eyes & ears in regards to the current condition of the home they are attempting to purchase, and to report deficiencies which may impinge on the safety, livability and value of that property to the extant that they may make a financial decision. It is a responsibility I don’t take lightly.

That being said… I would never tempt my clients into breaking the trust between us by trading their personal information for baubles of undetermined value. I am their advocate, they did not hire me to negotiate the sale of their personal data to so-called third party service providers, I will never ask them if they want to opt-in. Furthermore, there are no check boxes or places to initial on my contract. To me the act of asking for permission to distribute their personal information is an insult which diminishes the confidence which has been given.

In conclusion, I believe that aiding third party service providers in accessing confidential client information will damage the sacred trust many of us have benefited from and help to destroy our profession. My clients can rest assured that I would never give, sell or barter away their confidential information, ever. You have my word that I would protect your information as if it were my own.

What he said.

Well stated Joe!

If I may a suggestion.

Over the next week or two, ask your clients what they think about you giving their information to a third part in return for a free year of informative newsletters, free tech support, and offers to save money at places like Lowes.

Let them know they would have to “opt in” to receive these benefits and that they can “opt out” anytime they wish.

I’m thinking 90%+ would be happy to participate in the program.

After all, it is the Client who IMO should have the final say.

I just did this morning. The client was very appreciative. For me that’s what it is about :slight_smile:

And after the sales pitch, be sure to mention the alternative…

Personalized service from someone that they have a trusted relationship with, on-going, for as long as they own the home I inspected, at NO charge (phone and email)… ME,

I will send a newsletter seasonally with occasional special interest newsletters, without advertising from national businesses, so as not to flood you with excessive emails that will immediately get deleted,

Suggestions on how to receive FREE discounts from the local suppliers like Lowes, Home Depot, Sherwin Williams, etc… WITHOUT giving your personal information to UNKNOWN vendors,

Let them know there is NO opt-in, it is all a benefit of hiring me as their Inspector of choice!

I’m thinking 100% would be grateful they never have to deal with third party telemarketers again! (At least not related to their home concerns).

Typical INTERNACHI post:

nevermind

At least you finally admit it. That is the first step to redeeming yourself.

P-u---y!

Reason: Because I can! :stuck_out_tongue:

The one thing I found that worked nicely here in Colorado. I gave my clients a discount card provided by INACHI & Ace, but from me personally at the end of the inspection. Clients really liked the discount, no one gained any information from my client. Hopefully our local Ace gained a customer

Now that’s what I’m talkin about, right there! Go down to your local whatever shop, introduce yourself to the Store Manager, ask him/her for a discount to pass along to your clients. Most will give you the automatic standard 10% OFF. YOU are the Hero… not HON.

At one time Nick hoped to go national with the Ace Hardware discount card. Hmmmmm. Some of us are not as near Home Depot, Lowes etc. We mountain people are not real fond of driving to the “city” if we don’t have to.
Just sayin Nick, it worked great up here.

Can we get a logo for that?