Wiindow stickers and ratings

So no label/decal, do you select “appears to be”?

No, that won’t fly. Either etching on the glass or decal must be found. If no decal then I typically work with the owner on getting proper documentation. I don’t have time to spend all day on it and may hold off on sending report till they get what we need. Have had window companies email it straight to me.
The hardest clients are the one’s who were sold “hurricane windows” but are not impact rated and once this becomes apparent they are not very happy.

You actually need both. The decal indicates that the window frame is impact rated. The etching indicates the glass is impact rated. Like I said before, we have found many windows with an impact rated frame but the etching on the glass was no rated for impact glass. I just had two different houses within the past three months. One was a 3.5 million dollar custom built home that had all of the permits, but the glass was not impact rated. The second house had no permits, but had decals on all of the windows. 30% of the windows had non impact rated glass.

google “E.I. dupont DeNemours & Co. 98-0608.03”

Let me know if that impact rated glazing would pass your “knock test”?

I just did one with no etching or decal but a letter from an engineer on a highrise. Will let you all know how it turns out. the office lady said it works for her residents. I did note no label or etch but letter from engineer. So underwriter would see why I saidd what I said. We will see if I ever hear anything back on it. My opinion was they were impact but who knows what the underwriter said.

not impact rated…

Do tell…

The sample was for the thickness of the glazing only, not the laminate. I am curious how you determined the glazing was not impact rated when the etching required states “DCA” right on the NOA?

I would not touch that with a ten foot pole. You should have let the engineer fill out the form. You now just guaranteed his work. But then, what the heck, you made your $75.00 or $100.00.

I stated it was based on the proof I had a signed form from a licensed engineer. I also made notes saying what I did not see and that the answer was based on the engineers letter. I figure that has me being as honest as possible and letting all know involved how I came to the decision. It was not like I did anything shady or on the sly my photographic proof was the letter. If not accepted then that is the way the cookie crumbles. Before I posted I knew what your opinion would be on the matter but an engineers letter should stand for something or at least put the liability on him? Who knows.

And what about the poor guy that gave impact grading to that house I did down in Coral Gables where all the permits were there any anyways were there. But none of the glass was impact rated. I wouldn’t want to be around when we have a hurricane in those windows blowout in your name is signed on the bottom of that form has certifying that those are impact rated windows. Not worth the pittance of money that you got paid for that

I tapped on a window today and could tell it was not impact. I then confirmed with the client that the windows were not impact. Much easier than looking at the labels

Read it again…NOA says it’s not. Underwriters will say the same thing.

It is hard for me to reply when the poster can’t spell the title correctly.

I think to myself…Why?

I’m sure they are the Oracle of all knowledge…Not!

The NOA is for the laminate, not the rated assembly. You’re not understanding the relationship between the glazing and the assembly, while they are integral, approvals are separated with laminates. Laminators do not get NOA’s, laminates recieve NOA’s.

In this case, the laminator is required to etch the glazing with “DCA” as the glazing is two layers of 1/8" annealed glass with .90 laminate. Rated with the assembly, it is impact rated.

This is difficult for even the most versed individaul to understand…this glazing is impact rated.

Up your’s you ignorant prick.

Roy!!

I’m sure they are the Oracle of all knowledge

I kinda like that

Haha!
Got ya!
I’m the ignorant prick however you’re the one who can’t spell! LOL!
Bytheway …Thats Mr. Ignorant Prick to you…Haha That is funny.
At the minimum please get the title spelling correct!
I can read your report now!
The Wiindow in the kkitcken is ffuc*ed uup …LOL!

This one’s for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovi7uQbtKas

All I can do is what I think is right while being honest to all about how and why I write what I write. If the underwriter accepts the engineers letter as proof then I think the removes the liability from me but who knows? I would just hate to see the folks NOT get the discount if it is in fact as the engineer stated.