Wind Mitigation on a Condo Bldg

I am a licenced home inspector in FL and have taken the wind mitigation course on NACHI’s sight. I have been asked and I feel confident to do a wind mitigation on a four story, 40 unit, condo building, but am I completely qualified to do this?

No you are not. This type of building will require a different form than the 1802. You need to be a GC for that form.

If you are in the Tampa Bay area…give me a call or e-mail. I can help you.

Re: Who can perform mitigations using the MIT-BT-II & III

Engineers, contractors and:
A licensed building inspector
• A registered architect
• An engineer in the State of Florida
• A building code official (who is duly authorized by the State of Florida or its county’s municipalities to verify building code compliance).
Licenses today are checked for validity before a carrier will give such discounts.

Greg can you tell us what form to use for condo wind mitigation inspection?
I also want to know that

It is hard to tell if a house has a secondary water resistant, what is the best way to verify the house has SWD, and it seem hard to find the permit and installation date for roof construction

(Chuin, Please list your city and such in your profile. We like to know who we are talking to.):wink:

…There are several ways to determine that SWR exist. It is very rare. Most people who have it applied as required for the 1802 paid extra for it. It can be seen at the juction of plywood sheets or around vent.

Don’t confuse SWR of the building code with the SWR as defined by the 1802.


Can anyone please tell me how you are handling the wind mit on a condo first floor unit 2- stories.

Are you doing the roof inspection of the second floor or stating it’s a ceiling / floor combine.


The building is the building. The roof is the roof. The only exception is shutters. If you are writing for a unit only include that unit’s shutters. If you are writing for the building include the whole building.

You should post this in the Florida section.


My best advice is to have the client send you by email exactly what form they want used.

That will also tell you what license is needed to do the job. If you make them request what they want then the responsibility of having the form that the insurance company they are dealing with wants is them telling you not you trying to figure it out. It protects you from any issues down the road with them saying it is not right or what was needed. Put the ball in their court. Many times the insurance companies do not even know what they want. If you decide then the blame or responsibility is on you. If you tell them to tell you what form they want filled out then it is easy to have the qualified folks do it and you give them what they requested and itf they or the insurance company is wrong it is not your problem and you can charge them again to provide what they finally decide they need. If you make the decision and they complain or baulk then you are on the hook. COVER YOUR A S S .

I am really interested in what you and others would quote for a job like that.

I am a G.C. and NEVER get the jobs due to my prices and am curious what others charge to do similar work.

Just curious what was you quote for the job?

I think that should be a big dollar inspection but it seems to me that many do it for pennies.

Fools if you ask me.

Do the opening protection for the unit only and the roof section for the building. If it is a concrete roof deck we will access the roof top and obtain pictures (many don’t, but that’s what we do), and also a picture of the MT on the concrete deck. If it is a wood frame roof, most have a common attic access but some do not. In the case they don’t we have accessed a neighbors attic on the second floor and sometime you get 2 wind mits out of it.