wind mitigations

Confused about wind mitigations. The wind mitigation training we receive allows us to perform wind mitigations on residential properties. Does this include condos 4 stories or less (that’s what i understand). Also, I’ve been asked to do one on a 4 unit 2-story condo building for just one unit. I requested any past wind mit copies and was given a commercial wind mit from the past that was done by a building contractor and it did not have the opening protectiion portion filled out. The owner also gave me a OIR-B1-1802 form with only the opening protection filled out and not applicable on all other sections. Both forms have the association name as the Owner or Premises. I’m confused as to what this is all about and what we as home inspectors are able to do.
I don’t understand what to say to my client when they ask me “do i need a wind mitigation”. I did find out that some insurance companies accept a opening protection only portion of the 1802 form, but, they said on this particular building just the 1802 would be needed. Why then was there a commercial affidavit used by the association if it is not needed? They also said that they typically don’t receive partially filled out 1802 forms to further confuse the issue. By the way, the client is a realtor with tons of experience.

As a licensed Home Inspector you are limited by the definition of “Home” which applies to residential property only. Residential is defined as:

R101.2 Scope.
The provisions of the Florida Building Code, Residential shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, removal and demolition of detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures.

The OIR-B1 1802 for strictly for residential properties only, this is why it has no section for small missile impact which is allowed at 30-60" above grade. When it comes to condominiums, those that share common elements, they are not considered “residential” by definition provided under 468.8311(2):

(2) “Home” means any residential real property, or manufactured or modular home, which is a single-family dwelling, duplex, triplex, quadruplex, condominium unit, or cooperative unit. The term does not include the common areas of condominiums or cooperatives.

Citizens sees it this way:
Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection Form (OIR-B1-1802)
•Single-family dwellings
•One-to-four-unit residential dwellings, including apartments and condominiums
•Residential buildings with one-to-three stories, including five or more unit apartments and condominiums

In order to be sure, check the condo docs or construction docs.

1 Like

If they do not know what they need that does not sound like tons of experience. I have done opening only inspections. On all other questions I write NOT INSPECTED in bold red and on the cover i write Opening Protection Inspection.

What areas do you cover?

we don’t know what zone he’s in Michael.
where I’m at the only thing I usually do is the sheathing nailing and a roof to wall attachments. very very rarely in my zone do I ever have opening protection,with the exception of being on the coast meaning water line
here we are not in the HV Zone like you are.

The commercial form is normally for multi-family buildings over 3 stories. For a single unit (on any floor), you can use the 1802. Everything on the form is to reference the entire building except the opening protection. You can do just the OP if that’s what the customer wants. That’s the short answer.

Brad is correct, on Condos the only time you need to do a WM is for the OP if the owner has added OP’s that will qualify for a credit. You have the 2 forms already completed, one was done for the Condo Association and the other for the Condo owner for the OP only. Not sure what the owner is looking for unless he needs an updated WM for the OP. An updated WM form for the building should be available to the owner from the Condo Association’s Property Management Company.

He is in St. Lucie, Martin & Palm Beach according to his website.

Some so called condo’s are actually town homes…some condo/townhomes the owner is responsible for roof, exterior etc…most condo assoc wind mits are over 5yrs old…My solution is if the unit has attic access it gets a windmit. Age of roof is thrown back at the assoc, for documentation. Hope this helps.

Ok Guys All great answers, none give absolutely definitive answers. It seems like we ought to know exactly what we are supposed to do, but, to no fault of our own, we don’t. We all guess or say this is what I do or you do. There should be no gray areas, I think.
New question: Can a home be built in 1971, like a bricksh@#$%^&*! House with all structural features of the 2001 building code, and qualify for the structural discount or is there a application date cutoff. I have gotten different answers from General contractors and engineers, than from home inspectors. I always mark unknown if it wasn’t built to the code by permit app date. Even if I know it is built to the code. Humans sure do complicate life.

Here’s the thing. A 1971 house could very well be built to the Florida Building Code, but how would you prove it. You would need all the original documentation from the building department, which may or may not be available. Then you have to know how to read and interpret them. And this, of course, is assuming that there have been no additions. I would think only an engineer or architect would be able to make that call. But that will never happen, because no one would be willing to pay the price.

The application date on the form means nothing, until you verify all of the features. There are multiple houses in Palm Beach County that were built to the SFBC. Does anyone go to the building department to find out. I doubt it very much. Why. Because most inspectors have been taught that the permit date is all you go by. Think about this for a minute. If all we need is a permit date, then why do the insurance carriers need a form filled out. They can just as easily look up that information as you can.