Wind Mitigation

Hi all!

I was just wondering if anyone knows the current law in Florida for wind mitigation inspections. We are looking to be able to offer this inspection but are not sure if you need a special certification to do it. We were told to ask you out there to see if anyone can help. If we are able to conduct this inspection with out a certification can you offer us a sample report?
Thank you,
W B Home Inspections LLC :wink:

I here of people using ICC cert, but think a CGC would allow you to do them without question.

I have not yet added them to my bag of tricks. I would also like to view some sample forms. I think they are provided by the insurance company.

I looked at one a realtor friend of mine wanted done on her house. The report wanted to know what size and how many nails held the roof deck down, also the same for hurricane straps. I told her you can only assume the builder followed code. Not like we can remove the shingles and pull the nails to size them.
I have been avoiding them for that reason, but would like to understand them and offer them.

I look forward to reading others thoughts about this.

More and more reports done with an ICC certification are being kicked back. It appears that you are going to have to be a contractor or work for a WCE to perform these inspections.

Here is a link for the current training manual.

Insurance companies are starting to kick back Wind Mitigation Inspections (1802) that has been signed by WCE and had a few homeowners here localy that went back to get a refund and they would not honor it. Have also seen a couple companies that are having a contractor sign of on these inspections and hiring guys to go do the Wind Mits. Need to have a system to properly qualify a firm and its inspectors. Thats why they can charge $75.00 (when your paying someone what $10.00 an hour. Killing the honest ones.

These reports are under real scrunity right now. The insurance companies have a lot of money invested in them in the form of discounts. If you mess up or are doing them wrong, expect that action will be taken against you. Right now, as Greg said, you must belong to a WCE or be a GC or an engineer.

Do you have to have a separate insurance policy to do these types of inspections? Do you have some type of Agreement that the home owner signs at the time of inspection? I wonder what is going to happen when the next big storm rolls through Florida and people are getting discounts on the home owners because of the form you filled out as a “home inspector” says it is safer. The insurance company denies a claim and the home owner is going to sue someone? I wonder who else is going to get called in. Any ideas?

Hang in there, it is all changing soon:

Does this mean that you are trying to get things squared away with the Florida Office Of Insurance Regualtaions? They are the ones dictating who can fill out the OIR-1802 form. This is the ONLY form that counts for wind mitigation inspections in FL.

Many inspectors have taken the state required course, but still need to work under an approved company (known as a WCE) to perform these inspections. I know many inspectors would love to be able to do these without working for a WCE.

Maybe this letter & exhibits (attachments) from a South Florida Attorney to multiple government officials may shed some light on the issues with My Safe Florida Homes, the WCE’s and the battle that is being fought to preserve our constitutional right to work while protecting the public interests and our tax dollars.

This was in response to a letter written by Florida’s CFO Alex Sink asking our State reps to revive the MSFH program.

Thanks to all, remember if you agree with the attached contact your State rep in writting and protest the WCE monopoly.

Jose’ F. Uz, CRC, CPO, CHI, CHC, M-NFPA, FHA-I, FABI & NACHI Certified Inspector
Caribbean**[size=3]Realty Support Services, Inc.[/size]**