Window next to door...should it be tempered?

There was a 45 degree angle between the door and the window to the right. The window was about 17 inches from the door edge. The “arc” rule below causes me to scratch my head. Note: a mentally handicapped child will be occupying the home.

Hazardous Locations:

“Glazing, in an individual fixed or operable panel adjacent
to a door where the nearest vertical edge is within a
24-inch (610 mm) arc of the door in a closed position
and whose bottom edge is less than 60 inches (1524
mm) above the floor or walking surface.”

043009 066.JPG

You mean a 135 degree angle I think.

Looks like any window within 24 inches that is less than 60 inches off the floor needs tempered glass.

The “arc” is used to include any window within 24 inches regardless of the wall angles.

Looks like it is more of an issue from the deck side.

The door does open into a screened porch.

I think the rule is intended to prevent the window from shattering if the door slams or to prevent shattering if someone is carrying something in their hands that hits the window. Where the door opens to is irrelevant I believe.

Depends on your orientation. If the vertical axis is the wall with the door, then the wall with the window is 45 degrees. That’s how I look at it. :smiley:

A good thread about it here:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/building-envelope-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/4866-tempered-glass-doors.html

Here’s one from today. Note the window at a right angle to the door. The door would not actually strike the window. But should it be tempered? Age of home: 2000.

050209 045.JPG 050209 046.JPG

Based on this picture from the link you provided in your last post, it appears so.

I don’t understand the diagram and it seems to be incorrect. I don’t know how you can take the swing of the door into account when the 2006 IRC states that the measurement of 2 feet from the door is with the door in a closed position.

“Glazing, in an individual fixed or operable panel adjacent
to a door where the nearest vertical edge is within a
24-inch (610 mm) arc of the door in a closed position…”

From a previous discussion.

See the diagrams at the end of the PDF for some clarity

This indicates the need for safety glazing, no?

Joe, I didn’t verify Jerry’s picture from your link but typically he has good info R308.4(5) and R308.4(6).

Thanks, Michael. I forgot about that one.

I like the diagrams in this on even better. Especially for near stairways.

http://henricotoday.com/bldg/pdf/TemperedGlassAdditions.pdf

That doc says one thing in the diagram and another in the text, it don’t add up.

Look at the top right of page 2.

Those diagrams make sense. Now I completely understand how the 24" arc works. Thanks.

see the errors?

arcs that are drawn do not match the text as how to figure the arcs.

What doesn’t add up?

tempered.jpg