low window

Originally Posted By: Rafael
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

is there a code for a window being to low . this is 1 foot from the gound

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/l/low_www.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Anything below 18" must be tempered glass.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Low sill height alone does not constitute a requirement for tempered glass acording to the IRC. I don’t have time to reference it for you but there are three other criteria that the window must also meet in order to be consider a hazardous location requireing tempered glass.

The window in your photo does not appear to meet all four conditions. Check the IRC.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: wcottrell

I thought it depended on when the window was installed as to what code was applicable.

Set the code book aside and recommend tempered glass.

NACHI MAB!

Chuck, If a house were built in 1975 with a basement garage and was not sheet rocked would you call out for it to be fireproofed with sheet rock. Bill

I don’t tell anyone to do anything. All I can do is recommend.

Yes, I would let the client know that the home (living space) and garage should be separated by a fire barrier.

The window is a No brainer. Kid kicks a ball towards the window chases after it slides into the window, uh oh now what? If it were my home I would want a glass that low to be tempered.

Do you recommend a home built in 1975 that outlets in the kitchen or bathroom near a water source be protected with GFI? I do.

Using codes are fine, but common sense must also be applied.

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

cmccann wrote:
Anything below 18" must be tempered glass.

Chuck,

You threw me off by using the word "must" in your original statement.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Chuck,

Of course I recommend that the GFCIs are safety items but in 75 they were only required in the bathrooms not in the kitchen. If they were not present in the bath sellers responsibility, kitchen would be buyers.

Regards Bill

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
I don't tell anyone to do anything. All I can do is recommend.

I like your way of thinking. I refuse to utilize any code as reference. All my defects/safety items (in my reports) are simply recommendations. If my client refuses to upgrade an item that I've pointed out and someone gets hurt due to not upgrading, look at my report, it's in there.

Worth repeating....Using codes are fine, but common sense must also be applied.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: tjohn

Bill

I hope you are not saying that is our job to assign responsibility, as that is a negotiating item.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

tjohn -

I don't know how the other guys handle the inspection, but when I'm done I always let the people present know if the house passed or failed. Then I give them a list of repairs to be done, and break those out by which ones I think the seller should do and which ones the buyer should do.

If they don't know any good repair guys, I try to steer them to a few handymen I know that do repairs on a lot of different things and pay me a good referral fee for the business we steer their way.

Is that generally about how you handle it all??

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth

Dan B

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: psabados

Quote:
If they don't know any good repair guys, I try to steer them to a few handymen I know that do repairs on a lot of different things and pay me a good referral fee for the business we steer their way.

Let me tell you Dan B is good. About 10 years ago or so, Re/Max started flying a hot air balloon around the city. Not only did he sell the balloon pilot that he was a Re/Max exec and that he had special flying privileges, when in the balloon he would dangle a huge sign underneath it. "Holmes Inspection Company, any size home $99.00, phone number, ask for the hot air special" ![eusa_think.gif](upload://lNFeGuTetUAtwNVgUSOuUzgrGGK.gif)

He's so damn good at this, while inspecting he was calling his handypeople getting quotes and scheduling repairs. Now add in all of his referral fee's and the $99.00 hot air special, he was clearing nearly 1K per job. In his younger days he would 10-12 jobs per day. Now his doctor has told him to limit his work to only 5-6 per day. Rumor has it though, that he's considering a 3 page report, eliminating roofs, crawls, foundations and no more opening electrical service panels (I think he shocks himself when he gets tired). If he does that then he'll be back doing his 12 again. Not only is his phone book indexed by name and company he also rates by referral fee paid, speed in getting paid and speed in getting the job done. You'd be surprised by the number of names with five gold stars next to them.

He has single handedly cornered the KC marketplace. Newbies don't stand a chance. Realtor ask "Can you do it as fast as that Dan Bowers guy?" If you say NO, they say "Thank you!" click.

Oh yeah, his houses always pass, if they don't he just picks up the phone. Did I tell you that the real estate people just love him to pieces.

Now here's an interesting tidbit. Ask him if he thinks that as inspectors we should be licensed in every city and township that we inspect in with a minimum of an operational license? (he knows way too many politicians)

Paul

--
NACHI Vice President

NACHI Foundation, President

Convention Coordinator

Originally Posted By: tjohn

Dan

No, that is not how I handle repairs and nor do I think that you do either. Would be against all but NAHI code of eithics.

tjohn

tjohn,

No I do not assign responsibility, I do point out that it was not a requirement at time of construction or permit, if the buyer can get the seller to pay for upgrades to current building practices then good for the buyer.

Regards Bill

Originally Posted By: ddivito

It is my understanding that drywall fireproofing and an interior metal or solid core door with a self-closing hinge in attached garages was required since 1927. Local jurisdictions may supercede this.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

lower warranty claims that are filed with the local warranty companies.