windows with very low sills

Originally Posted By: Irene Hinesman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello, We are buying a fixer-upper house for resale. The 2nd floor windows are a few inches above floor level. We are replacing them but are wondering if we should provide guards across the bottom half of the window prior to selling the home and do you recommend a certain type/style of guard to use. Would wooden shutters be a possibility? As parents we would ourselves be concerned with the low windows and are wondering if these will adversely affect the sale of the home.

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Hi Irene. I think very highly of you for expressing your concern. In my opinion, i think you should do whatever is going to make you sleep well at night. I don’t think wood shutters would do it for me though. icon_smile.gif

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Welcome, and thanks for asking.

As Director of NACHI's Safe House Campaign, meant to protect clients from hazards such as that, I would ditto the previous post. If you FEEL it is to low, and a hazard exists, you are probably right. Protect your kids! If you need suggestions of ways to do this, I can help you.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: roconnor

dfrend wrote:
Welcome, and thanks for asking.
Ditto ...

However, I feel those low windows are a significant safety concern if they are standard windows that opperate.

See these links too for some more information ... CLICK HERE ... AND CLICK HERE

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong