Wiring for a built in microwave...Question.

Normally its plugged into a outlet in close proximity.

In this case, its a heavy gauge extension cord running about
3 foot to a GFCI.

It this within the NEC guidlines?


Nope…Any permanent appliance (microwave, garage door opener, water heater, whatever) + extension cord = violation and write up.

Practically speaking I’ve got something very similar in my house with a counter top unit. I’m comfortable with it myself because the cord is fully protected (and heavy duty). But I would write it up for a paid inspection.

The tag affixed to the extension cord (stuck in the hole of the cabinet) explains it all. “Listed for temporary use.”


Thanks for the feedback…

Here’s the 2008 NEC section:

Typically these units require their own dedicated circuit anyway.


How about if the 110 cord went through the same opening ,with no extension cord.
Is it ok to pass the power cord through the cabinet?

I ask because I had one where the under cabinet halogen lights transformer was in the cabinet but the cord ran to the outlet behind the fridge.

Sure the halogen lights are low voltage ,but the power cord to the transformer is 110.
This was for those under cabinet puck lights we all see.

I see no problem with a 120 volt cord passing through a cabinet. Many dishwashers are wired with a cord through a hole in the cabinet to a receptacle in a cabinet adjacent to the DW.

That is an “appliance cord”, permanently fixed / connected at the appliance. An extension cord is just that (temporary, not to be used for permanent wiring). May not make sense but there it is. I find garage door openers on extension cords all the time because the outlet may be too far away for the appliance cord on the opener to reach. Still not right.

I agree, the appliance cord is OK, an extension cord is a substitute for fixed wiring and an NEC violation. 400.8(1)