Wood an water don't mix!

Why do contractors think it’s ok tto have a wood sill where water will come in contact with it. I’ll post a pic sometime but really… Treated or not long term exposure to wood is a BAD thing!! Were in Texas it won’t last…

Do they know all “treated wood is not equal”?

I think it’s hard for them to take advice from an Architect!! :wink:

Phillip where is your picture, to see what you’re talking about?
Are you referring to the sole plate on a slab ??? Or What ???

Well i dont have one handy, but it’s similar to a sole plate but…

Ok there’s a 3 car garage and the divider comes down to the slab Drop, where the garage door fits. Problem is the “Sole Plate” at that portion of wall is at the lower level where the garage door would go in lieu of being 1.5" or more higher, where the garage floor edge is. So if water backed up on driveway, the soleplate would not be protected from it.

Does that give you a mental picture?

Does it look like this?

thumbnail.jpg:slight_smile:

Phil,

I can’t attest to your ability one way or another so don’t perceive this as personal.

Seen daily, just as many architect design flaws or omissions from the plans.

If it’s drawn incorrectly or a design flaw on the plans, build it regardless.

If it’s required, like WRB, flashings, others and omitted on the plans, build it regardless.

Some of the properties built today won’t exist in 20 yrs, not due to a lack of maintenance but from built in flaws as the buck gets passed from the Architect, Engineer, Builder, Subcontractor, Realtor, Bank and pawned off on the unsuspecting consumer time and time again…

Anyone having high utility bills, air, moisture or other problems with their residential or commercial property is free to contact me at 972-487-5634

Where do you think the water goes in these? Someone drew this crap and actually stamped and signed off on it!

deadend.JPG

wincolumn.JPG

I can’t attest to anyone’s ability one way or another.

Seen daily, just as many architect design flaws or omissions from the plans.

If it’s drawn incorrectly or a design flaw on the plans, build it regardless.

If it’s required, like WRB, flashings, others and omitted on the plans, build it regardless.

Some of the properties built today won’t exist in 20 yrs, not due to a lack of maintenance but from built in flaws as the buck gets passed from the Architect, Engineer, AHJ, Builder, Subcontractor, Realtor, Bank and pawned off on the unsuspecting consumer time and time again…

Anyone having high utility bills, air leakage issues, moisture intrusion, EIFS issues, Stucco issues, construction issues or other problems with their residential or commercial properties is free to contact me at 972-487-5634

Where do you think the water goes in these? Someone drew this crap and actually stamped and signed off on it!

design flaw.JPG

deadend.JPG

Badkickout1.JPG

No one was paying any attention on this one.
That’s an exterior wall framed on/in the brick ledge, abuts to a patio.
Someone WILL explain and redesign to satisfy my client.

layout bust a.JPG

layout bust.JPG

To build a house in Texas you aren’t required to have an Architect. Not that they wouldn’t make mistakes but it’s at least one more check. The larger cities do require an engineered foundation, but nobody checks up on them.

We built a house in fort worth and the builder didn’t build to code … But all the city cared about was how much storm water was coming to city system.

In 20 years the treated wood sole plate will be rotten, just wait and see.