Would this fly?


In lue of backsplash recepticles? Guessing not since there’s apparently no provision for hard wiring or
GFCI unless the branch circuit itself is protected.



The page you are attempting to view cannot be displayed. Please check the URL and try again.


AAK! It’s working for me. Anyone else having a problem?

I don’t see that it is but if it was listed for this use, you would need many of them to meet the receptacle location spacing requirements.

Well no it won’t fly(of course that what the say about the bumble bee isn’t it?):wink:

Looks nifty but since many kitchen appliances tend to be power hungry I wouldn’t want three added receptacles on the same circuit.

Also it’s rated IP54 (IEC standard for ingress protection) which only applies to the closed position and no NEMA rating is indicated.

Want my opinion…

** I would TURN it down…until I knew more about it…:slight_smile: and I can’t throw it to make it fly because they are not on the market yet…:mrgreen:

1.) I would question the size of the CORD attached.
2.) Not practicle as it would be only (1) more than a normal duplex…and unless you had those bad boys every 4’ on the counter…it would do you no added benefit.
3.) No actual listing that shows it has been approved or reviewed.

Oh I could go into more…is it a strip…?..it is a…well you get the idea…I can see other uses for it but I would not expect to be installing them in any kitchens anytime soon…Plus…where are you going to plug into it at…below the counter…so the receptacle is below and NOT part of the couter requirement…hmmm…too many WHAT IF’S

Oh yeah…so would that cord under the kitchen counters be subject to damage?..can’t have flexible cords in walls and a violation of 400.8 (1) …man this is fun…JOE, GREG…chime in fella’s…:slight_smile:

Treat it like the restriction for “face up” receptacles that are not permitted on kitchen counters, bathroom counters, and wet bars.

:roll: Spill the pitcher of Vodka and see a flash fire!

Is the product listed?


Probably would pass for that “face up” issue as from the look of it the unit is not really face up…kinda like the allowance for a top mount receptacle…no receptacle is really face up on it…

Now it says on the site it has a seal for spills…also it says nothing about if it is GFCI protected…and since it is on a cord…the plug it would have to plug into is under the counter…so it would not count as a counter top receptacle…and this one would only remotely be considered one if it stays popped up all the time…lol…

Can’t say I will be installing any very soon…lol…and I dont think it is UL listed…you would figure they would post that IF it was…and since they did not…probably not.

WHAT…don’t you SPILL that vodka fella…thehehe

OH…and if it was BUILT into the counter…It would be considered permanent…so a violation of 400.8(1)…but maybe thats just MY opinion…

I think there is something similar in a permanent product. I seem to remember the guys over at Bob’s house talking about it. It is supposed to be a solution for the island problem.


Would that be hardwired solution of flex. cord solution as this model shown is?

I don’t know any details, just heard about it

Looks like a great deal for my shop bench. On the kitchen counter, I don’t think so.

The official spin on water and counter top outlets is that if it gets wet the GFCI will trip. There is nothing to keep you from dropping the toaster into a sink full of water either. If I use the fear of water next to outlets I would need to remove the sink and you would certainly have to make the spray hose illegal.
Test your GFCIs often and get on with your life.

Are there any updates to this? I found this product through the gardenweb forums and followed up with Mockett.com on the UL listing which does seem valid.

Also what does IP54 mean?

Absolutely not, but not for the reason you might think. The item pictured is not a receptacle, but rather a UL listed electrical accessory known as a “current tap” (not a relocatable power tap), listed in the UL White Book under *“Current Taps and Adaptors (EMDV)”. *The actual receptacle itself for this current tap (the receptacle that is NEC required) is installed under the counter top, in the back of the cabinet, and this current tap plugs into it. This is no different than installing the required receptacle in another room, and running a long extension cord to lay on the countertop and calling it “the required countertop receptacle”. This is a violation of the basic rule that counter spaces with a wall or back splash must have the receptacle mounted above the counter top (up to 20" above). There are two exceptions to this, neither of which apply to the installation referenced. As an optional receptacle, they’d be fine. As one of the NEC required receptacles, they are a violation, because the actual receptacle is under the counter. When someone makes a hardwired version, then they’d be compliant for kitchen counters with wall space. None such on the market yet, that I am aware of.

It’s the DIN (Europe) standard that is basically equivalent to what we’d call “weatherproof” (NEMA 3R). IP stands for “Ingress Protection”, and the digits that follow enumerate what type of ingress protection, very similar to our NEMA enclosure ratings. IP54 is good for dust and splashing water.

IP rated enclosures only address ingress of solid objects and liquids. NEMA goes much further.


I looked up the UL rating for this item. The file number is E211536. It’s listed as a relocatable Power tap. Does this mean it can be used in lieu of the backsplash/wall receptacle?

Also what constitutes a wall? We have a bar over our island. It’s held up by a 1" wood panel on the end of the island. The panel is 6" higher than the counter. Would that be considered a wall?



http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=XBYS.E211536&ccnshorttitle=Relocatable+Power+Taps&objid=1075528546&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073995503&sequence=1Here’s the link to the UL database listing