Wow, I need some help here!

Ok, this has me stumped. Two level home in Livingston, Montana. No problems on the lower level, but every single outlet, every light switch I touched on the upper level, gave me a static shock, some fairly strong.

What could be some potential causes of this kind of thing? It was exceptionally windy that day and the homeowner regularly keeps the thermostat at 80 degrees.

It was suggested to me by another inspector locally that there may be a lack of humidity in the upper level that is adding to the static electricity. Does this sound possible to you?

The house was 2005 built, grounded with a rod in the ground, ufer in the crawl and to plumbing.

I’m really hoping you all have some wisdom for me on this one.

Thanks,

Terry

what type of flooring do you have on the first floor and what type is on the second floor?

Sounds about right. 80 degrees means dry…

http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/static.html

You walk across the rug, reach for the doorknob and…ZAP!!!
You get a static shock.

Many people have static problems, especially in the winter when the indoor air is very dry. But don’t worry, static elimination may be easier than you think. There are many steps you can take to eliminate static electricity, and many static control products available. Static Elimination Tips

Our expert in static electricity in the electronics industry suggests trying the following to get rid of static electricity problems in your home or office:

  1. Increase the humidity in your house and workplace. Air is much drier in the winter, which increases the frequency and severity of shocks. Use a humidifier.
  2. Change clothes - switch to natural fibers, since synthetics pick up more of a static charge.
  3. Change [FONT=verdana]shoes[/FONT]](http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/eliminatestaticelectricity.html#) - there are special conductive shoes in a variety of styles. They are made for people working in the electronics industry. You will need to find a store or catalogue that sells or can order them for you. (Search online for “[FONT=verdana]esd shoes[/FONT]](http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/eliminatestaticelectricity.html#)”)
  4. If your skin is very dry - try an anti-static hand lotion (also available for the electronics industry.)
    Search online for “esd shoes” or “antistatic products”[http://www.google.com/logos/Logo_25wht.gif

</IMG>](http://www.google.com/) Enter your search terms Submit search form
Here are two suggestions for static control from another source:

  1. Walk barefoot (or, as silly as it may sound, cover your shoes with aluminum foil when possible) to reduce the static buildup.
  2. Wear a thimble on your finger, or carry a coin, and use them to touch grounded metal objects as often as possible. This will not eliminate the static discharge, but will stop the pain you feel in your fingertips.
  3. Be sure to ground yourself before touching sensitive electronic equipment.
    Static Control Products in the Workplace

People working in areas where [FONT=verdana]ESD[/FONT]](http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/eliminatestaticelectricity.html#) (electrostatic discharge) can damage sensitive equipment often use products designed for static control or elimination. For static control in work areas, use anti static mats on floors and work surfaces, and have people wear anti-static wrist bands, heel straps or conductive shoes. Using an [FONT=verdana]anti static spray[/FONT]](http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/eliminatestaticelectricity.html#) on surfaces may also be helpful.

Buy a different type of slippers and stop dragging your feet on the carpet. :wink:

Hell, I don’t know. ha. ha. Sounds interesting though.

Keep us posted.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley: :wink:

The best way to deal with static situtations, similar to the “Wear a thimble on your finger, or carry a coin” above but simpler, is to clench your fist and touch a grounded object with your knuckle. You will hear and see the spark but will not feel it.