Year built for wind mit??

Hey guys, I have a home that the property appraiser and insurance company considered to have been built in 1971. But it burned down completely in 2012. They rebuilt everything except slab and one exterior wall. Can I mark A for question 1?

NO, the owner has to take care of that with the proper AHJ. You can then amend the report after the YB date has been changed by a governmental agency. Just document all of the new code attributes and it will be the same as a FBC house.

I say Nope :frowning:

Brad is right, however stupid it may sound, that counts as remodeling! It is done that way to avoid all of the impact fees associated with new construction!

Nope.

Does anyone know the process by which they can get the AHJ to change YB? Does it matter that the one exterior wall was left standing?

I disagree with the prevailing opinion. Depending on the level of alteration, the entire home would need to be brought up to current industry standards/codes. If that is the case, the jurisdiction, assuming they are doing their job, would require the new construction to comply with current industry standards. The plans would likely have a data sheet that specifies what code was used to design the structure. If you can get your hands on the plans that show compliance with the relevant current Florida Building Code edition, then you can safely check off the appropriate box. IMHO (with the supporting documentation of course)

The reason why it was not changed is that to get it to current year built the client has to pull a full demo permit, submit new plans, and pay the impact fees for a new construction home. The impact fees on a single home like that will run thousands. Most likely it was pulled as a remodel/renovation and outside of the FEMA guides so the slab could stay. Not sure what the process would be, client will have to talk to building dept to see if it’s even possible, but I guarantee it involves paying the government their impact fees, and at that point the client will have to determine if it’s worth it or not. Good luck

Alright, will let them know. Thanks all.

Had a client referral from one of my agents that scooted me right out of her house today because of this very same problem. YB is listed at 1949 and the house was completely rebuilt in 2001 except for a few ground floor walls and slab. Homeowner was very adamant that I should list the YB as 2001 for the insurance inspections. I told her that was fraud, and that I did not have the authority to do so. She kicked me out of her house and did not pay me for the inspection that I already completed. Some people, I swear…I should have known to keep my mouth shut. Hopefully the agent will straighten this out.

You’re right. Next time walk out of there and straighten out those dates over the phone after the check clears…lol Sorry to hear that happened to you Bradley.

Bert

THIS IS WHY I ALWAYS Get Paid Upon ARRIVAL. ALWAYS GET PAID WHEN YOU SHOW UP. F—the pieces of crap that try to take advantage of you.

Bert that method does not work…Sorry. GET PAID UPON ARRIVAL BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING or risk getting screwed by scumbags. I NO LONGER GET SCREWED EVER.

I would think that those questions should have been asked prior to booking the inspection. I go through the entire form with any potential clients so that when I get there, there are no surprises.

My first question is, what year was the home built? Of course, by the time they answer, I already know the answer. 1949, but we did additions. Did you knock down the entire structure or do additions…like the permit information I am looking at states? Move on to question 2. The roof permit I am looking at says 2001 and you are in Palm Beach. So far, you have no credits…Looking at a picture of your house, you have a non-hip roof. We are running out of options… :cool:

It is all about laying out what you are going to do and then doing it. I have never not gotten paid for a wind mit. And, in over 20 year of doing home inspections, only not gotten paid once…and that individual was baker-acted at the closing table…

You are correct, even if I had listed the home as 2001, it would have the same result. I do ask when scheduling if something looks questionable in permitting. I did not know this particular conflict was going to be a concern until the end of the inspection. Sometimes you just can’t convince the client that they are completely wrong when they think that just because the YB is listed as 1949, they will get no discounts. The renovation work actually showed (3) large discounts on the 1802, but she scooted me out the door before I had a chance to tell her that…go figure. I will keep my mouth shut from now on until payment is made. This was the first time this has happened to me.

Sounds like you got a whacko! It happens! :wink:

I would be curious, if the house was rebuilt except for the slab and one wall, which is usually done to lessen the tax burden, wouldn’t those areas have to conform to the existing building code due to the amount of work being done?

I did an inspection on a house built in 2012 in Boca. When I looked the house up on the appraisers site,it said 1983 as the build date. I asked the client about this and he said, the house burnt down and was rebuilt, larger. So, I looked at the permits and there was the demolition permit as well as all of the required permits for the “addition”.

Two days before closing, I get a call from the insurance agent asking for a wind mit and a 4-point!
I informed her that the home had been rebuilt and those shouldn’t be needed.
I sent her screenshots of the permits and as far as I know, that was the end of it.

Whacko is putting it lightly. The agent ordered the 4pt due to YB. Client didn’t say anything about that, just that I should change the YB myself. I have had many situations where the YB was not changed due to the permit being a renovation job and not a new SFR permit.